Solve Process Engineering ODE without Laplace Transforms | ODE Help

• Thread starter missmaria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about a process engineering homework problem involving an ODE with a unit ramp function and an integral. The question is how to solve the ODE without using Laplace transforms and if it is possible to have an integral in an ODE. The solution involves differentiating the equation and solving a nonhomogeneous linear DE with constant coefficients.
missmaria
So this question pertains to some process engineering homework i have, which is basically the following:

I have an ODE that has the form: [tex]\frac{dh^{p}}{dt}[/tex]+h[tex]^{p}[/tex]+[tex]\int h^{p}[/tex]=F[tex]^{p}[/tex]{t}
where F[tex]^{p}[/tex]{t} is the unit ramp function (i.e. F[tex]^{p}[/tex]{t}=0 when t<0, and is equal to t when F[tex]^{p}[/tex][tex]\geq[/tex]0

So my question is how do i solve this ODE without using Laplace transforms?? Can there even be an integral in such an ODE??

Thanks in advance, i appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
We can remove the integral sign by differentiating the equation with respect to t

h" + h' + h = F'(t)

This is a nonhomegeneous linear DE with constant coefficients which can be solved quite easily without using the Laplace transform.

1. What are ODEs?

ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations) are mathematical equations that describe how a dependent variable changes with respect to one or more independent variables. They are commonly used in mathematical modeling to study the behavior of a system over time.

2. Why are ODEs important in science?

ODEs are important in science because they allow us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to model physical phenomena and make predictions about future behavior.

3. What types of problems can be solved using ODEs?

ODEs can be used to solve a wide range of problems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects under the influence of forces. They are also used in control theory to design systems that can regulate themselves.

4. How are ODEs solved?

ODEs can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. Numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate the solution at specific points in time.

5. What are some common techniques for solving ODEs?

Some common techniques for solving ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the ODE and the desired accuracy of the solution.