Proving Alternating Groups in Sn: An Index 2 Subgroup

• Thread starter zcdfhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary: That there are as many even permutations as there are odd permutations in Sn and that the order of An is n!/2.
zcdfhn
Let An (the alternating group on n elements) consist of the set of all even permutations in Sn. Prove that An is indeed a subgroup of Sn and that it has index two in Sn and has order n!/2.

First of all, I need clarification on the definition of an alternating group. My book wasn't really good in explaining it.

My attempt at a solution is limited but I was thinking I can prove that An is a subgroup by showing that its elements are closed under composition and it is closed under inverses, but I need to better understand what an alternating group is before I start a proof. Also the order n!/2, I believe has to do with calculating permutations nPn-2 = n!/2! = n!/2.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A_n is simply the set of all even permutations. You know, i assume, what a permutation is right?

So, now you are asked to prove that actually the set of all even permutations, namely A_n, is a subgroup, when the opertaion is composition(multiplication). So all you need to show is that for any two elements of An, call them a,b, then ab is in A_n, that the inverse of every even permutaion is an even permutation, and you are done, siince there is a theorem that guarantees that any set that satisfies these conditions is a subgroup.

thank you so much, it makes sense now

Now the part of proving that the order of An is n!/2 requires more work.

First you probbably know that the order of Sn is n!. however we cannot rightaway conclude that An has n!/2 elements. We first need to show that there are as many even permutations as ther are odd permutations in Sn and then it is clear that the ord of An is n!/2.

Hint:

Let

[tex] S_n=(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,...,\alpha_k,\beta_1,\beta_2,...,\beta_r)[/tex]

Be the set of all permutations where [tex]\alpha_i,\beta_j[/tex] are even and odd permutations respectively.

Now, what you can do is show that [tex] \beta_1\alpha_i[/tex] for i=1,..,k are all odd permutations...it requires a proof by contradiction somewhere along the lines.

Then again, you might want to show that [tex] \beta_1\beta_j[/tex] for j=1,...,r are all even permutations.

What do these two things tell you?

Last edited:

1. What is an index 2 subgroup in the context of alternating groups in Sn?

An index 2 subgroup is a subgroup in the alternating group Sn, which is a group of even permutations on n elements, that has half the order of the original group. In other words, it is a subgroup that divides the alternating group into two cosets.

2. How do you prove that a subgroup is an index 2 subgroup in Sn?

To prove that a subgroup is an index 2 subgroup in Sn, you need to show that it has half the order of the alternating group and that it divides the group into two cosets. This can be done by showing that every element in the subgroup has an inverse in the other coset, and that the subgroup contains the identity element.

3. What is the significance of proving an index 2 subgroup in Sn?

Proving an index 2 subgroup in Sn is significant because it allows us to understand the structure of the alternating group better. It also helps in simplifying computations and calculations involving the group.

4. What are some techniques that can be used to prove an index 2 subgroup in Sn?

Some techniques that can be used to prove an index 2 subgroup in Sn include using the subgroup test, showing that the subgroup is normal in Sn, and using the Lagrange's theorem to show that the subgroup has half the order of the alternating group.

5. Can any subgroup in Sn be an index 2 subgroup?

No, not all subgroups in Sn can be index 2 subgroups. Only subgroups that have half the order of the alternating group and divide the group into two cosets can be considered as index 2 subgroups.