Visualizing Vector Calculus: Sketching Field Lines with Scalar Functions

In summary: I was freaking out for hours on this.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of sketching field lines for a vector field with an unknown scalar function, using various identities. The vector field is always radial from the origin, but the magnitude of the field can change depending on the scalar function. This can result in field lines converging, diverging, or reversing in certain points. The forum supports latex, which makes writing equations easier.
MrB3nn

Homework Statement

Let r be a position vector from the origin (r=xi+yj+zk), whose magnitude is r, and let f(r) be a scalar function of r. Sketch the field lines of f(r)r

2. Homework Equations
1 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])=0
2 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=0
3 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=[tex]\nabla[/tex]([tex]\nabla[/tex].v)-[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^{}2[/tex]v
4 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex].v+v.[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]
5 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]xv+([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])xv
6 [tex]\nabla[/tex].(v.w=w.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)-v.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xw)
7 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x(vxw=v([tex]\nabla[/tex].w-w([tex]\nabla[/tex].v+(w.[tex]\nabla[/tex])v-(v.[tex]\nabla[/tex])w

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get started on this question. I have no idea how you can draw a sketch of the field lines when the scalar function is unknown. My intuition says you should be able to use some of those identities but I need a push in the right direction. Please, someone give me that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field lines represent the direction of the vector field.

Hint: what is the direction of your vector field, and in what way does it depend on f(r)? (trick question)

oh didn't realize this had posted, the site was crashing when I was trying to post. Well I know the field is always radial from the origin due to it's cartesian components. I also know the magnitude of the field will increase as you move in any direction from the origin. But in my mind, I don't know what f(r) is. I am thinking that f(r) can be negative sometimes i.e. f(r)=5-er, or negative always i.e. f(r)=r. Therefore, in my mind, if I multiply this scalar field with the vector field, it the combined effect could change the whole thing. In some places the field may converge, in some it may diverge etc. What I mean is, the field lines may reverse in some places. Am I thinking of this the right way?

Yes, that is correct. You might have points where the vector field vanishes, diverges or reverses (i.e. points to the origin). But this is all legit :)

By the way, this forum supports latex, which is a lot easier to use than the equation you wrote. Might want to look into it!

Example:

[tex]\nabla \times (\nabla\Psi) = 0[/tex]

(Press the quote button to see how you can write it)

Thanks a lot for your help dude.

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields. It is used to study and analyze physical phenomena that involve vector quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. How is Vector Calculus used in real life?

Vector Calculus is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles and fluids, and to solve problems related to forces and motion. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D animations.

3. What are some common applications of Vector Calculus?

Some common applications of Vector Calculus include calculating electric and magnetic fields, analyzing fluid flow, and modeling the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points.

4. What are the basic operations in Vector Calculus?

The basic operations in Vector Calculus are differentiation and integration. Differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a vector field, while integration is used to find the total effect of a vector field over a given region.

5. What are some useful tools for solving Vector Calculus problems?

Some useful tools for solving Vector Calculus problems include the dot and cross product, the gradient, divergence, and curl operators, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These tools allow for the efficient calculation of derivatives and integrals of vector fields.