What if there were more radio receivers?

• Thread starter Camilord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to the effects of adding multiple receivers on the power of a radio wave transmission. The speaker also mentions an anecdote about a homeowner redirecting a radio signal with their own antenna. However, it is ultimately concluded that receivers do not affect each other and any interference is minimal due to the nature of radio waves.
Camilord
Hi everyone, i am not so good at physics though i like it a lot and i have a few questions that i hope someone can answer. first i was thinking about radio stations, and i was making an analogy with a voltage source, say, i have a voltage source with many resistors connected in parallel, the more resistors i add the less current they have, so the question is what if i am transmiting a radio wave with a certain power, and i have x number of receivers, will the increase of receivers affect the power each one is receiving? and if the question were yes..is there a formula that relates the transmitting power with the number of receivers allowed?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, of course not. No receiver has any effect on other receivers. It is conceivable that if one antenna is directly behind another, the first antenna could block the second but radio antennas are very thin and and radio waves will diffract to fill in behind one fairly quickly.

I was told (heresay) that an individual homeowner objected to the construction of a 1.5 MHz vertical AM antenna nearly in his back yard, and when it was built, constructed an antenna running from his attic to his basement, and redirected the signal of the first antenna. Is this possible?

No...

What if there was no internet radio?

Without internet radio, people would have to rely on traditional AM/FM radio stations for their music and talk show needs. This could limit the variety of content available and potentially lead to less diverse programming. In addition, many people enjoy the convenience of being able to listen to internet radio on their devices, so the absence of this option could be inconvenient.

What if radio stations didn't have DJs?

If radio stations didn't have DJs, the programming would likely consist solely of pre-recorded music or syndicated shows. This could lead to a lack of personal connection and interaction with listeners, as well as a absence of live updates, news, and announcements. DJs also contribute to the overall vibe and atmosphere of a radio station, so their absence could make the listening experience less enjoyable for some.

What if radio stations played only one genre of music?

If radio stations played only one genre of music, it would limit the diversity of music available to listeners. This could also lead to a lack of options for artists and musicians to have their work heard. Additionally, it may not appeal to a wide range of listeners, as many people enjoy a variety of music genres.

What if radio stations didn't have commercials?

If radio stations didn't have commercials, they would have to rely on other means of revenue, such as sponsorships or government funding. This could potentially limit the resources and budget for the station, resulting in less quality programming. It could also lead to a lack of exposure for businesses and products that rely on radio advertising.

What if radio stations were only available in certain locations?

If radio stations were only available in certain locations, it would limit the reach and audience of the station. This could be problematic for listeners who enjoy a particular station but may not have access to it in their area. It could also limit the potential for growth and success of the station, as it would only be able to reach a limited audience.