Initial velocity of an object

In summary, initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) and can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. The initial velocity of an object determines its subsequent motion and can be negative if the object moves in the opposite direction of its reference point. Final velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at the end of an object's motion and may differ from initial velocity depending on various factors.
StupidGenius

Homework Statement

What was the initial velocity of an object that moved 120m in 5.60s, reaching a final velocity of 15.0m/s in that time?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
a=v2-v1/t2-t1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I was wondering is there an acceleration that I'm missing here? or am i just off?
I've been using this eq. v1=v2-a(changeintime)
Someone help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
was the object at rest?

The book's answer is 28 m/s =S

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as the initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction during a specific period of time.

2. How is initial velocity measured?

Initial velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). It can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time.

3. How does initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity of an object determines how fast and in what direction the object will move. It is a crucial factor in predicting the motion of an object and helps determine the object's final velocity and position.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive reference point. For example, if a car is initially moving east, but then changes direction and moves west, its initial velocity would be negative.

5. How does initial velocity differ from final velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity is the velocity of the same object at the end of its motion. They may differ in magnitude and direction depending on factors such as acceleration and friction.