Responding what when someone calls you

• Thread starter WhiteTim
  • Start date
In summary, the people in this thread seem to think that responding with "What?" is rude, but the reality is that it's not really that bad. If someone calls your name, just respond with "Yes, sir" or "What can I do for you?" and move on.
WhiteTim
This thread is inspired by Ivan Seeking's thread styled "Pointing with the middle finger."

I notice from time to time that when some people call another person's name, rather than responding with "yes?" or some other type of reply, some people seem to inadvertently commit the act of rudeness by responding "What?". I don't think that the people are deliberately being rude. I think that most of the people don't even know that this is bad manners.

Example:

John, "Bill."

Bill: "What?"

Whenever I hear this, I can't help but think "Doesn't that guy know that it is rude to respond with what when someone calls him by name?"

When I was in public school, the customary response that a student would make when a teacher called his name to get his attention would be "What?", though nobody ever said anything about it...

What do you people think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

o:) What? o:)

yea I'm here

Who's here? :confused:

I tend to blame every decline in etiquette on lawyers. (Law Students Set the Etiquette Bar Low, but still fail to pass the bar)

Monosyllable replies are always rude. I always expected my kids to reply with a full, "Whaddya want?!" when I called them.

When a person replies, "What?", I always think of Vinnie Barbarino (coincidently, it's Arnold Horshack's 60th birthday today).

Why is it rude?

BobG said:
Monosyllable replies are always rude. I always expected my kids to reply with a full, "Whaddya want?!" when I called them.

I also think "Whaddya want?!" is less rude than "WHAT?"

rootX said:
I also think "Whaddya want?!" is less rude than "WHAT?"

What is old and misused, it will take many knuckle sandwiches to dislodge it.

matthyaouw said:
Why is it rude?

Actually, replying, "What?" isn't rude in itself, but it does fail to meet the following requirement:

In writing or Speaking, give to every Person his due Title According to his Degree & the Custom of the Place.
(from http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/documents/civility/transcript.html

I guess it could comply with:
Let your Discourse with Men of Business be Short and Comprehensive.

Likewise, one should:

Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present.

When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usualy Discovered.

Shew Nothing to your Freind that may affright him.

In the Presence of Others Sing not to yourself with a humming Noise, nor Drum with your Fingers or Feet.

Sleep not when others Speak

Put not off your Cloths in the presence of Others

Kill no Vermin as Fleas, lice ticks &c in the Sight of Others, if you See any filth or thick Spittle put your foot Dexteriously upon it if it be upon the Cloths of your Companions, Put it off privately, and if it be upon your own Cloths return Thanks to him who puts it off.

All very good, common sense rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
To go back to the original example, that should go perhaps:

Example:

John, "Bill."

Bill: "Yes, sir."

or

Example:

John, "Bill."

Bill: "How may I help you?"

or

Example:

John, "Bill."

Bill: "You called, sir?"

Just what did you have in mind?

WhiteTim said:
This thread is inspired by Ivan Seeking's thread styled "Pointing with the middle finger."

I notice from time to time that when some people call another person's name, rather than responding with "yes?" or some other type of reply, some people seem to inadvertently commit the act of rudeness by responding "What?". I don't think that the people are deliberately being rude. I think that most of the people don't even know that this is bad manners.

Example:

John, "Bill."

Whenever I hear this, I can't help but think "Doesn't that guy know that it is rude to respond with what when someone calls him by name?"

When I was in public school, the customary response that a student would make when a teacher called his name to get his attention would be "What?", though nobody ever said anything about it...

Some people find the littlest damn things to complain about and this is a classic. It's only rude because YOU’VE assessed it as such. In reality, it's not rude in the least. They could have elected to ignore you altogether, and if you are so easily offended, then perhaps they’d be correct in doing so.

In responding with, “What?”, they've not only acknowledged that you’ve called upon them, but they’ve proceeded to the next logical step by asking what it is that you are inquiring about, thereby saving wasted chatter getting to the point. Do you also want a big wet kiss and hug before and after each conversation?

Perhaps you should just be thankful that they acknowledged you as nicely as they did. They could have simply responded with, “Bite me, dude!” :biggrin:

BobG said:
Monosyllable replies are always rude.

"what can i do you for?"

six times ruder, or six time better?

Gnosis said:
Some people find the littlest damn things to complain about and this is a classic. It's only rude because YOU’VE assessed it as such. In reality, it's not rude in the least. They could have elected to ignore you altogether, and if you are so easily offended, then perhaps they’d be correct in doing so.

In responding with, “What?”, they've not only acknowledged that you’ve called upon them, but they’ve proceeded to the next logical step by asking what it is that you are inquiring about, thereby saving wasted chatter getting to the point. Do you also want a big wet kiss and hug before and after each conversation?

Perhaps you should just be thankful that they acknowledged you as nicely as they did. They could have simply responded with, “Bite me, dude!” :biggrin:

Thank you. I finally understand why "What?" is a rude answer. Without understanding the thought process behind a reply like that, I just thought that rule was kind of quaint.

Gnosis said:

Just because it's not the rudest thing one could say doesn't mean it's not rude.

"What?" is short for "What do you want?" which is kind of setting a bad precedent, as if the interruption is bothering them.

An appropriate response is "Yes?"

So, does this mean I've been rude to people 24,040 times in my life? "What?" is so predominant now, it's hard to rationalize it as a rude response anymore. I've never thought anyone was being rude to me with that reply.

OAQfirst said:
"What?" is so predominant now, it's hard to rationalize it as a rude response anymore.
One could say the same thing about spitting on the ground. It is so predominant now it's hard for people to remember when spitting was a vile, disgusting and unhygienic habit.

Oh wait. Some of us haven't forgotten.

I can't see a good comparison there. Spit bothers most people. "What?" does not.

DaveC426913 said:
One could say the same thing about spitting on the ground. It is so predominant now it's hard for people to remember when spitting was a vile, disgusting and unhygienic habit.

Oh wait. Some of us haven't forgotten.

yes, it's exactly the same thing.

it all depends really, on inflection.

one might even make the same observation about simply calling someone by their name. if you need them to come look at something, you could've simply asked immediately after. you can't expect a proper reply if you don't ask a proper question.

WhiteTim said:

Example:

John, "Bill."

There's more to this subject, though...it's not so simple.

For one, the tone of voice is the primary criteria of how any word or phrase comes across to the listener. There are very rude ways of saying, "Yes?". Similarly there are sweet, soft ways to say "What?". But I'll assume that's already understood.

Also, the tone of voice of the person calling the name will influence the response that is received.

Basically, when trying to determine whether a particular comment is rude or not, the whole interaction and tone have to be considered, not simply the words that were spoken.

Ah. So that would explain why some of us [read ME] have better responses to the word than others might. Because it is a great stretch for me to see it as rude in any way. Related to the regional social environment and experiences, I suppose.

OAQfirst said:
I can't see a good comparison there. Spit bothers most people. "What?" does not.
No, that is what we're here debating - "what" does bother many people.

There are too many ridiculous things that people are bothered by. I can see why spit would bother most, but "what?" is stretching it. I suppose I could tip-toe around words like this one, but had I have once found someone bothered by "what?", they'd have gotten no more than a blank stare from me and just about everyone I've ever worked with. It's certainly nowhere near the 'auspices' of the n-word, or the f-word, or even the h-word.

People are bothered by some of the most harmless things. So if we're playing with comparisons, how about nipples? Many people are bothered with those enough to demand that new mothers not breast-feed their babies in their own cars in a parking lot.

People take offense at so many things that don't even have anything to do with them. Stepping on someone's spit and dragging it into your living room carries far more weight than "what?" ever will.

In short, folks need to get over that stuff.

OAQfirst said:
There are too many ridiculous things that people are bothered by.

Everyone has their quirks. If peoples' "botheredness" were directly related to the actual trouble something is, we wouldn't be individual people, we'd be an army of identical robots. Peccadillos are one of the things that makes us who we are.

Why does that bother you? :biggrin:

How do we know that John was not rudely interrupting Bill?

I think I usually respond with "Hmmmm...?"

Unless its my roommate in which case I respond with "What the f*** do you want f*****!" You see its the hight of rudeness in our household not to respectfully refer to others as a bundle of sticks or branches.

DaveC426913 said:
Everyone has their quirks. If peoples' "botheredness" were directly related to the actual trouble something is, we wouldn't be individual people, we'd be an army of identical robots. Peccadillos are one of the things that makes us who we are.

Why does that bother you? :biggrin:
Peccadillos make us who we are?

Sure, there's a great range of things people are bothered by. I think the impetus of all disagreements stem from that. Nonetheless, if we're going to get along with people, we have to find the equilibrium of what our culture accepts and rejects. While I should've emphasized that I'm basing my previous points entirely on my own observations of that equilibrium, it's served me just fine. To illustrate that point, spitting in many areas can carry fines. I doubt the use of "What?" could ever be punished.

OAQfirst said:
To illustrate that point, spitting in many areas can carry fines. I doubt the use of "What?" could ever be punished.
But you can't attempt to regulate or quantify what is allowed to bother people. No one's trying to enact any laws, we're just stating what bugs us. We're allowed to do that.

Many people lament the loss of a time when people knew how to speak and spell and write and behave towards one another.

Well, I understand that. I know that's the direction of this thread. But I also understand that language and formalities evolve such that people have a hard time adjusting to those changes. I'm bothered by the mere change of pitch I observed a few years back in a common reply sentence, "Yes it is." (Complicated story.) So. To keep myself within the framework of that society, as much as that change bothered me, I put up with it and concentrated on the things that really mattered. I know that people are generally grouchy and complain about every tiny thing, and that's where I'm ultimately going with all of this. I really wish that people would stand back a bit and get a broader perspective on their lives around people. Heck, I had a kid chew me out because I used "cool" to describe something in passing. I would bet he picked that up from us adults, getting riled over a harmless word.

And then, of course, just to cover bases, there is profanity and that is a different matter. "What the f--- do you want?" is of course a definite no-no in most any situation. Still, it's the response it generates that gives it the power for folks to wield.

Yet, as far as I can tell, people still know how to write and speak and spell and behave towards everyone. The evolution of language has little bearing on that because we direct its changes. I've seen "What?" used in movies, books, courtrooms... Times them are a changin'. People still, even then, know how to behave because they follow that equilibrium. We can resist that change we were comfortable with, but the change will come. And that, I think, is what really bothers people.

DaveC426913 said:
Many people lament the loss of a time when people knew how to speak and spell and write and behave towards one another.

?
When was this?

"What" bothers people? Why? I could see if the response was a very clipped, "NOW what?" but not just "What?"

Since you claim "Yes" is an okay response, even being as monosyllabic as "what," does that mean I'm safe with, "Yeah, what?" :biggrin:

Now that I think about it John was definitely rude. He should have said something along the lines of "Excuse me Bill can I ask you something?" or "Pardon me Bill...?" perhaps some other variation. I mean really, what sort of response does one expect when they simply call out ones name?! John certainly has no room to complain.

WhiteTim said:
Example:

John, "Bill."

TheStatutoryApe said:
Now that I think about it John was definitely rude. He should have said something along the lines of "Excuse me Bill can I ask you something?" or "Pardon me Bill...?" perhaps some other variation. I mean really, what sort of response does one expect when they simply call out ones name?! John certainly has no room to complain.

waht? :smile:

In my office we often call out the name of a co-worker to ask a question. If someone responded with "what?" it would be considered rude, it would come across sounding like they are annoyed. I have never heard anyone I work with respond with "what?".

OAQfirst said:
But I also understand that language and formalities evolve such that people have a hard time adjusting to those changes.
You call it evolving; I call it degenerating. People have become accustomed to more and more disrespect. Just because it's become common doesn't make it OK.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Now that I think about it John was definitely rude. He should have said something along the lines of "Excuse me Bill can I ask you something?"
No. Calling someone's name is the very least interrruptive thing one can do. It's one word, it addresses whose attention is needed, it requires no conscious diverting of "processing power" and the only response it requires is no response at all (if you're busy or, say, on the phone). If the recipient is open to interruption, that's his option.

Short of leaving the person alone completely until such time as they open up to input, calling their name is the most considerate action.