Plating Metal - Cathode or Anode?

In summary: Therefore, the piece of metal inserted into the solution should be the cathode, and in this case, zinc would be the best choice according to the standard reduction potentials chart. In summary, to plate out nickel from a nickel (II) nitrate solution, you should use zinc as the cathode.
meganw
"Plating" Metal - Cathode or Anode?

Homework Statement

You want to plate out nickel from a nickel (II) nitrate solution onto a piece of metal inserted into the solution.
Should you use copper or zinc or can you use either of these metals?

Homework Equations

Standard Reduction Potentials Chart needed...

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone! I understand that oxidation occurs at the anode and that eduction occurs at the cathode, but I am confused how this plating would work.

I think Ni+ needs to become Ni(s). So Ni needs to be reduced, and gain electrons. So that means that the metal inserted needs to be the anode. But I just read somewhere in my book that the cathode is the site of metal plating. :-/

My aswer would be that it needs to be Zinc.

Zn = -.76 (electrons)
Ni2+ = -.23 (empty)
Cu = .34 (electrons)

Zinc would work because Copper giving up its electrons to a higher energy level (Ni) would not be spontaneous. Is this right? (There's no answer to these problems in our Zumdahl solution manual, thanks. ) =)

Thanks!
-Megan

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series
Further down on the list reduces further up on the list. So zinc will work well, and copper not so much.

There are a few mnemonics to help with remembering electrochemistry. In this case, we have “An Ox Red Cat,” or oxidation occurs at the anode while reduction occurs at the cathode. So the Ni2+ is reduced to nickel metal (plated) at the cathode.

Likes Delta2

1. What is plating metal and why is it used?

Plating metal is a process in which a thin layer of one metal is deposited onto the surface of another metal. It is used for a variety of reasons, including improving the appearance of the metal, increasing its resistance to corrosion, and enhancing its electrical conductivity.

2. What is the difference between a cathode and an anode in plating metal?

In plating metal, the cathode is the metal object being plated, and the anode is the source of the plating material. The anode is connected to the positive terminal of a power supply, while the cathode is connected to the negative terminal. This causes the plating material to be attracted to the cathode and deposited onto its surface.

3. How do you determine which metal should be the cathode and which should be the anode?

The metal that is more reactive or more easily oxidized should be the anode, while the less reactive or less easily oxidized metal should be the cathode. This ensures that the anode will provide a source of positive ions for plating, while the cathode will attract and receive those ions.

4. Can any metal be used as a cathode or anode in plating?

No, not all metals can be used as a cathode or anode in plating. The metal must have good electrical conductivity and must not react with the plating material. Commonly used cathode metals include copper, nickel, and silver, while commonly used anode metals include zinc, tin, and chromium.

5. What factors affect the quality of the plating metal process?

The quality of the plating metal process can be affected by factors such as the purity and composition of the plating material, the current and voltage used, the temperature and pH of the plating solution, and the cleanliness and preparation of the cathode surface. Proper control of these variables is necessary to achieve a desired plating result.