May Day! Celebrate Happy Workers' Day

• Thread starter Santa1
  • Start date
In summary, Today is Happy Workers' Day and May Day, and it is also "Day Without A Mexican" and 2009 is about 1/3 over. The flu scare seems to be tapering off, but there are still concerns about Cinco De Mayo celebrations. However, local health authorities have deemed it safe for May Day protesters to gather. In some places, there may be a shortage of Corona or Cuervo for Cinco De Mayo events.
Santa1
Happy Workers' Day (alternatively) May Day!

Are minimalistic posts bad? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.

Happy May 1st.

2009 is about 1/3 over.

I suppose I am celebrating it right by working?

Today is also "Day Without A Mexican". I didn't notice any difference though. :-/

I wonder what will happen to Cinco De Mayo celebrations? Although the flu scare seems to be petering out.

Evo said:
I wonder what will happen to Cinco De Mayo celebrations? Although the flu scare seems to be petering out.

Apparently the local health authorities told the May Day Protesters that they were ok to gather without concern.

Evo said:

I've noticed a lot of advertising for Cinco De Mayo events here...no shortage of Corona or Cuervo (well - maye there is a Cuervo shortage?).

What is May Day?

May Day, also known as International Workers' Day, is a holiday celebrated on May 1st in many countries around the world to honor and show appreciation for the contributions of workers to society.

Why is May Day celebrated on May 1st?

May 1st was chosen as International Workers' Day to commemorate the Haymarket affair, which took place on May 4th, 1886 in Chicago, Illinois. This event was a labor protest that turned violent and resulted in the deaths of several workers. It is seen as a significant event in the history of labor rights and is remembered on May 1st every year.

What are some common ways to celebrate May Day?

Some common ways to celebrate May Day include organizing parades and protests to advocate for workers' rights, holding picnics or parties to honor workers, and giving small gifts or tokens of appreciation to workers such as flowers or sweets. In some countries, it is also a public holiday and workers are given the day off to relax and spend time with their families.

Which countries celebrate May Day?

May Day is celebrated in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, most European countries, and many countries in Asia and Latin America. It is not a public holiday in all countries, but it is often recognized and celebrated by labor unions and workers' organizations.

How does May Day relate to the labor movement?

May Day has its roots in the labor movement and is seen as a day to promote and advocate for workers' rights. It is a reminder of the struggles and sacrifices made by workers throughout history to improve working conditions and secure fair wages. Many labor unions and organizations use this day to raise awareness about current labor issues and to continue fighting for workers' rights.