Complete data transfer from one Windows 98 computer to another

In summary, you can use a crossover cable and/or USB flash drive to copy files from one computer to another. The cable is the easiest way, but the USB flash drive is faster.
Loren Booda
I am giving my ladyfriend my old Dell computer with Windows 98 OS. I would like to transfer all of the files in her old computer (also Windows 98) to her "new," gift computer. I seek to do this by means of intervening cable.

Where can I get instructions on how to do this? (The Windows 98 CD seems very unfriendly compared to the "File Wizard" of Windows XP.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
How considerate of you. Why didn't you just give her two boxes, one that says computer and one that says monitor? :wink:

1) You don't want to transfer over windows 98. You computer won't work. A fresh install of windows 98 would be best.

2) There are two easy ways to transfer files. The first one, and probable the easiest, is to actually take out the hard drive from one computer and stick it into the other computer. Make sure that the hard drive your putting into the computer has a jumper setting of slave. From there just go into windows and you'll see there are two hard drives. Just drag files from one folder to another.

The second way to to buy a crossover cable and connect the two computers over ethernet. You'll have to setup file sharing on both computers and then copy the files from one folder to another. This will also be slower than the previous method.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/facstaff98.html

Or unless of course if you have DVD burner or an external storage method like USB HDD that is sufficiently big enough, you could use them to tranfer files. I think what dduardo has recommended as the most efficient one, is the best way to transfer files through seamless environment.

You all make me feel like buying her a whole new setup, what with my lack of computer savvy, and public humiliation. :redface:

Is there no simpler way to utilize that cable, in the direct manner similar to Windows XP?

What cable are you talking about? I already said that you can use a crossover cable and I gave you instructions on how to do filesharing. You can also do it with a parallel cable, but that would take too long. Another way you can transfer files is by gathering all the files in one folder and compressing the folder. Then you want to run "split" on the compressed file with a size of 1.44MB. The program will split the compressed file into 1.44MB chunks, just enough to fit on a floppy. Then one by one copy over the data to the other computer. Finally "cat" all the files together and uncompress.

I would agree that the easiest option available today is a USB flash drive. Plug the device into the old computer, copy the files you need onto it, and then plug it into the new computer, and copy the files off it. You can buy them in 128 and 256MB capacities, which is probably enough for most people's personal documents -- and of course you can make several "trips."

The other options listed by dduardo are excellent options if you know what you're doing. If you're not technically proficient enough to install a hard drive or configure Windows filesharing, I'd just pay the $30 for the USB drive. You might even be able to return it to the store after using it. :devil:

- Warren

Of course, you have to make sure the old computer supports USB -- it has to have USB ports, and it has to be running Win 98 Service Pack 1, IIRC, or later.

- Warren

USB drive it is - the $30 fix for the cyber-inept.

You may take out the hard drive from one computer and stick it into the other computer. From there just go into windows and you'll see that there are two hard drives. Drag files from one folder to another.
Another method: if both computers have USB ports you can get a Flash disk.
Yet another one: when you hook up both computers to a network you will be able to use a special program http://www.pc-file-transfer.com/" that will help you transfer files and folders.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Use an ethernet cable to establish a local area network, put the local drives on sharing and start transferring the required files.

2. a high capacity USB external drive would do the trick, if the size is small or limited to a GB or something in the vicinity of that, u would have to do it multiple times causing stress :)

3.This way is applicable if u have a router connected to the computer, use a HTTP server ( e.g -HFS, try searching google for hfs), put the files on sharing on the server that would give u a local ip and port to enter into the remote computer, the files would show up in your browser and can be downloaded with ease( of course this requires the necessary hardware.)

4. and if you are somewhat interested, u can take out your HDD and then transfer files( as the method is listed above)

An easy to use tool is PC File Transfer. You only need an internet connection, install the software, then tranferring data is no problem. It allows using direct (with ip address identification) and account connection (no ip address required).

1. How can I transfer all of my files and settings from one Windows 98 computer to another?

The most common method for transferring all data from one Windows 98 computer to another is by using a transfer cable. This cable connects the two computers through their parallel or serial ports and allows for a direct transfer of files and settings. Another option is to use a removable storage device, such as a USB drive, to transfer the data.

2. Will I be able to transfer all of my programs and applications as well?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer programs and applications from one Windows 98 computer to another. These will need to be reinstalled on the new computer. However, you can transfer any installation files or setup disks for your programs to make the reinstallation process easier.

3. Do I need any special software to perform the data transfer?

No, you do not need any special software to transfer data between two Windows 98 computers. The built-in File Transfer Wizard in Windows 98 can be used for this purpose. However, if you are transferring data to a newer operating system, you may need additional software or drivers.

4. Can I transfer data wirelessly between the two computers?

Unfortunately, Windows 98 does not have built-in wireless capabilities, so it is not possible to transfer data wirelessly between two Windows 98 computers. You will need to use a transfer cable or removable storage device for the transfer.

5. Is it possible to transfer data from a Windows 98 computer to a newer operating system?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data from a Windows 98 computer to a newer operating system. However, the methods for transferring may differ depending on the operating system. It is recommended to research the specific methods for transferring data to the newer operating system before proceeding.