Student Loan Ques: Investing Excess Money for Future Repayment?

In summary: Because I would declare it on the new loan application.)In summary, if you have money invested in a GIC, it might inhibit your ability to get a loan the next year.
check
I’m starting school in September and I’ll need to apply for a student loan soon. I’ll be going to a university in Ontario, Canada. Anyway, I’m not sure how much to apply for because I have a bunch of scholarship applications still pending approval, so I think I might just apply for the max and use what I need. Now with the Ontario Student Loan Program, OSAP, interest does not start to be computed on he loan until after you are done school and working. So anyway, if I do happen to get all the scholarships I’ll be left with an excess amount of money. What I’d like to do is invest the money in a 3 or 4 year GIC, and then use the interest accumulated on that to help pay off some of the loan sometime in the future. My question is, if I have this money invested, would it inhibit my ability to get another loan the next year? (Because I have to declare my investments.)

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is GIC ?

It’s a guaranteed investment plan. You invest some money, and you are guaranteed a certain return on it after a certain time. Except you cannot touch the money once it’s invested. For example, $5000 invested in a GIC for 5 years at 4.6%/yr interest compounded annually would make you $1260.78 after the 5 years.

Oh, that much ? 5 years is not a long time at all especially to students who are busy studying, if I were you I would try to invest more to get more in return after all.

Oh yeah, I know. I would keep adding the excess every year. My main problem is that when I go to apply for ANOTHER loan and they see that I have all this money invested, would they give me another loan?

1. What is the best way to invest excess money for future student loan repayment?

The best way to invest excess money for future student loan repayment is to first make sure you have an emergency fund set aside. Once that is established, consider investing in a high-yield savings account or a low-risk investment option, such as a certificate of deposit or a money market account. These options will provide a return on your investment while also keeping your money easily accessible for when you need to make loan payments.

2. Is it better to pay off student loans before investing?

It depends on your individual circumstances. If you have high-interest student loans, it may be more beneficial to pay them off before investing. This will save you money in the long run and free up more of your income for future investments. However, if you have low-interest student loans, it may be more financially savvy to invest your excess money and continue making minimum payments on your loans.

3. What are some low-risk investment options for student loan repayment?

Some low-risk investment options for student loan repayment include high-yield savings accounts, money market accounts, and certificates of deposit. These options offer a relatively stable return on investment and keep your money easily accessible for when you need it.

4. How can I minimize the impact of student loans on my future finances?

One way to minimize the impact of student loans on your future finances is to create a budget and stick to it. This will help you manage your expenses and ensure that you have enough money to make loan payments. Additionally, consider making extra payments on your loans when possible to reduce the amount of interest you will pay over time.

5. Should I consider refinancing my student loans to better manage my finances?

Refinancing your student loans may be a good option if you can secure a lower interest rate or more favorable repayment terms. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your credit score and any fees associated with refinancing. It may be helpful to consult with a financial advisor before making this decision.