Is Happiness Just a Fleeting Pursuit?

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, Thomas Jefferson believed that happiness is a continual pursuit and something that can be achieved, depending on what you desire. He also believes that if you do not desire anything, you will be happier.
RAD4921
Thomas Jefferson wrote in the declaration of independance "the pursuit of happiness". To him was that all happiness is is a pursuit? Perpetually looking for greener pastures. Indeed Jefferson kept adding on and on to his home (Monticello), constantly trying to create the perfect home. Is happiness something that always lies just beyond our grasp? Something that will happen tomorrow if only I get that promotion, the perfect job, the perfect women?Does happiness lie in chemical structures in the brain? I once read a modern philosopher say that "happiness is dopamine" Does happines lie in a pill, such as serotonin reuptakes (Paxil, Prozac)? Roger Waters sang in the song "Time", "waiting for someone or something to show you the way". Is happiness just ordinary state of contentment and nothing more? I think most would agree that anyone who walks around constantly grinning and lauging is madman. I once read that people who appear to be happy all the time do so out of ignorance, ego or evil or possibly all three. I think most would agree that life has it ups and downs and "happiness' is a fleeting thing. A giggle at a joke, going down a waterslide on a hot summer day or a state of mind created by too many beers. I guess I will just count my blessing and settle on contentment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness exists in the present. In order to be happy in the future, you need to pursue happiness.

Man may be happy, but this does not imply perfect happiness, for if a man were perfectly happy in all regards there would be no reason for him to act. Action has the purpose of exchanging one state of affairs with another deemed more favorable. If your state of affairs was such that it could not be improved upon, then it seems unlikely there would be reason to act (be it to build an addition onto a home, plant a field, go on a date, walk to a refrigerator and retrieve a drink or sandwich, and so on.) As a man must decide for himself what will make him happy, the process becomes individualized. If an individual is being controlled by the will of another then his/her ability to pursue decisions concerning their own happiness must become frustrated by the inability to act. I believe it is this freedom to act that Mr. Jefferson alludes to, as no doubt the colonists were feeling restricted.

Is happiness just ordinary state of contentment and nothing more?
As I mentioned above, I believe happiness implies a state of contentment, yes.

A long time ago I was delving into this issue of happiness and how happiness can be achieved.

I came to the conclusion that :
"Happiness is dependent on what you desire, and the ability to achieve what you desire" this led to :

"If I desire less then I will be more happy"

To cease desiring things that can not be achieved, a bit like the scerenity prayer often used by support groups.

This obviously has a certain problem associated with it in that to enjoy life desire is needed other wise you cease to exist. But it is the quality of your desire that determines ones happiness.

1. What is the pursuit of happiness?

The pursuit of happiness is the human desire to seek and attain joy, contentment, and fulfillment in life. It is often seen as a fundamental human right and is a key aspect of many philosophical and psychological theories.

2. Can happiness be measured?

Yes, happiness can be measured through various methods such as self-report questionnaires, physiological measures, and behavioral observations. However, it is important to note that happiness is subjective and can differ from person to person.

3. Is happiness dependent on external factors?

While external factors such as wealth, social status, and relationships may contribute to a person's overall happiness, research suggests that internal factors such as mindset, gratitude, and resilience have a greater impact on long-term happiness and well-being.

4. Can happiness be learned?

Yes, happiness can be learned and cultivated through intentional actions and behaviors. Practices such as mindfulness, gratitude, and kindness have been shown to increase happiness levels over time.

5. Is happiness a constant state?

No, happiness is not a constant state. It is a fluctuating emotion that can be influenced by various factors such as life events, circumstances, and individual experiences. However, by actively pursuing happiness and practicing positive habits, it is possible to maintain a more sustainable level of happiness.

Back