Floating in Space: Can Humans Create Their Own Orbits?

Assume that the person is floating in space without any other significant nearby objects.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a human floating in space and potentially having smaller objects orbit them due to their own gravitational pull. However, the conversation also highlights the importance of magnitude in determining the significance of such effects. A quiz question is posed to further explore this concept.
smokering0
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I don't know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all about magnitudes. Just because something is definite and measurable doesn't mean it matters in the long run. I can spit in the ocean all day, but the water will never rise because of it.

smokering0 said:
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I don't know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help

Yes, theoretically that is true.

Quiz question for you: imagine an object (mass M) orbiting a person (mass 80 kg) in a 10m radius orbit. How far from the Earth must the person be, so that the Earth's gravitational pull on the object is 1/10 that of the person's gravitational pull on the object?

Use Newton's law of gravitation,

Fgrav = G Ma Mb / d2

1. How do humans create orbits in space?

Humans create orbits in space by launching objects, such as satellites or spacecraft, into a specific trajectory and speed that allows them to continuously fall towards the Earth or other celestial bodies without actually crashing into them. This is known as achieving orbital velocity.

2. Can humans control their own orbits in space?

Yes, humans can control their own orbits in space by adjusting the speed, direction, and altitude of their spacecraft. This allows them to change the shape and size of their orbit and even move to different orbits around the same or different celestial bodies.

3. What factors affect the stability of human-created orbits?

The stability of human-created orbits is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the orbiting object, the gravitational pull of the celestial body it is orbiting, and the presence of other objects in the same orbital path. Changes in any of these factors can cause the orbit to become unstable and potentially lead to a collision or escape from the orbit.

4. How do astronauts maintain their orbits in space?

Astronauts maintain their orbits in space by using thrusters on their spacecraft to make small adjustments to their speed and direction. This allows them to counteract any external forces that may disrupt their orbit and keep them in a stable trajectory.

5. Is it possible for humans to create orbits around any celestial body?

Yes, it is possible for humans to create orbits around any celestial body as long as they have the technology and knowledge to achieve the necessary velocity and trajectory. However, some celestial bodies may be more challenging to orbit due to their size, composition, or gravitational pull.