Why is Glass Transparent to Photons?

In summary, the glass does not absorb visible light to any significant degree because there are no atomic/molecular transitions that correspond to that particular energy range.
hagopbul
hello

my question is why glass is transparent why the photon are traveling in it without being absorb

use equation & explanation ,

please this Q? for high level Physicist not for anyone so pleas if you can't use proper equations DONT REPLY

and why its path are so specific and strait ?

Physics news on Phys.org

hagopbul said:
please this Q? for high level Physicist not for anyone so pleas if you can't use proper equations DONT REPLY

Well, a "high level physicist" should already know that there is no single equation that will directly explain the absorbance spectrum of glass or any other material, that such spectra can't be calculated analytically to begin with, and that explaining how to calculate an absorbance spectrum from first principles would require at least a book's worth of text.

I don't think anyone's going to write a textbook for you, so I'd suggest that you either accept a simplified, non-rigorous answer or don't ask.

{Well, a "high level physicist" should already know that there is no single equation that will directly explain the absorbance spectrum of glass or any other material, that such spectra can't be calculated analytically to begin with, and that explaining how to calculate an absorbance spectrum from first principles would require at least a book's worth of text.

I don't think anyone's going to write a textbook for you, so I'd suggest that you either accept a simplified, non-rigorous answer or don't ask. }

ok i said equations not equation , then you can simplify it i didnt say write it all

and it is easy to say that i don't know write ?

Fine, here's your equation:
[tex]\hat{H}\Psi = E\Psi[/tex]

Solve the electronic Schrödinger equation for the molecular Hamiltonian of whatever your type of glass is, with whatever its atomic coordinates are, using a unit cell and periodic boundary conditions because it's a solid.

After spending a day or two of supercomputer time figuring that out, note that the band gap is larger than the visual range, and that the thing therefore does not absorb visual light to any significant degree because there's no atomic/molecular transitions that correspond to that particular energy range.

thank you this is what i was talking about ...any one else [i know that eq, every one knows it]

no answer ?

1. Why is glass transparent?

Glass is transparent because it allows light to pass through it. The molecules in glass are arranged in a way that does not absorb or reflect light, making it possible for light to travel through the material without being scattered.

2. How does light pass through glass?

Light passes through glass because the molecules in glass are tightly packed, leaving very little space for light to be absorbed or scattered. When light hits the surface of glass, it is able to travel through the material without being obstructed by molecules.

3. What gives glass its transparency?

Glass gets its transparency from its chemical composition and the way its molecules are arranged. The atoms in glass are arranged in a regular pattern, which makes it possible for light to pass through without being absorbed or reflected.

4. Can all types of glass be transparent?

No, not all types of glass are transparent. The transparency of glass depends on its chemical composition and how the molecules are arranged. For example, frosted glass has a textured surface that scatters light, making it opaque rather than transparent.

5. Are there any exceptions to glass being transparent?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to glass being transparent. Some types of glass, such as colored glass or stained glass, have added materials that absorb certain wavelengths of light, giving them their distinct colors. Additionally, very thick or dense glass may also appear opaque due to light being unable to pass through it easily.