Period of spring -> magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a frame with bars, a capacitor, and a spring, as well as a magnetic field. The question at hand is the time of one period of the spring. The conversation also mentions a tension caused by a change in frame-area, and the need to calculate with the capacity C. There are some uncertainties and potential calculations involved.
Jackyo
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7485/physicsb.jpg [Broken]

Hi,

sorry that I only mention a first strategy for solution for the following problem, but I can not think of a better one.

For the question you will need to look at the image in the appendix:
1. You will see a frame, consisting of the bars F,G,H and I.
2. Between the bar HI is a capacitor C;
between the bar GH is a spring with spring constant k.
3. The density in the bar is everywhere the same.
4. Assume that all bars and the spring are conductive
5. Do not include friction in the calculation

6. orthographic to the frame is a magnetic field B

What is the time of one periods of the spring?

Obviously there is a tension V=- d(B*A)/dt, because of the changing of the frame-area A.
Because the resistance of the frame is ~0 no current will be detected.
I could now create the function x -> V(x), which attaches every elongation x the current tension V(x).

But what is the next step for finding the solution? What can I calculate with the capacity C?

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea?
Are there any questions about the task?

Jackyo said:
Obviously there is a tension V=- d(B*A)/dt, because of the changing of the frame-area A.

I'm not sure why you are calling this quantity a Tension--- tension has units of force (Newtons in SI units), while the emf/induced electric potential [itex]V=-B\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex] (I assume that [itex]B[/itex] is uniform and constant?) has units of potential (Newtons per Coulomb in SI)---you need to multiply [itex]V[/itex] by something in order to find the tension:wink:

1. What is the period of spring in relation to the magnetic field?

The period of spring refers to the time it takes for a spring to complete one full cycle of oscillation. In the context of the magnetic field, the period of spring is used to describe the time it takes for a magnetic field to complete one full cycle of oscillation. This is also known as the magnetic field's frequency.

2. How does the period of spring affect the magnetic field?

The period of spring does not directly affect the magnetic field. However, the period of spring can be used to measure the frequency of the magnetic field, which can in turn affect other physical phenomena such as electromagnetic radiation and electrical currents.

3. Is the period of spring different for different types of magnets?

No, the period of spring is not affected by the type of magnet. The period of spring is determined by the mass and stiffness of the spring, not the properties of the magnet.

4. Can the period of spring be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field?

No, the period of spring cannot be used to directly measure the strength of a magnetic field. However, it can be used to indirectly measure the frequency of the magnetic field, which can then be used to calculate the strength of the field using other equations and measurements.

5. How does the period of spring relate to the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field has a period of approximately 11 years, which is the time it takes for the magnetic polarity of the Earth to reverse. This period is not related to the period of a spring, but both can be measured using frequency or time measurements.