Metal Detectors: Unlocking the Depths of the Ground

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's passion for metal detecting and their interest in finding alternative methods for detecting metal in the ground. They have spoken to experts and have been told that currently, metal detectors are the only way to look into the ground. The speaker is open to ideas for new methods, particularly using Solid State Physics, but acknowledges that those with potential ideas may be reluctant to share them. Some suggestions are given, including ground-penetrating-radar and conductivity measurements.
nanoswift
Metal Detectors!

Guys I an Undergraduate student in Lancaster University (England) and I have a passion for metal detecting when I am not in UNI. Over the years I have spoke many of my lecturers and research staff about the depth of a metal detector and its soul destroying ability to pick up iron. Now so far I have been told that there is no other way of looking into the ground other than these
http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_pulse_metal_detector.shtml
http://whitesmetaldetector.com/spectrum.shtml

Believe me I am not ready to believe that there is no other way. Please if someone has a bright idea of how to make a new one using Solid State Physics or any other method, then please let me know! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

nanoswift said:
Guys I an Undergraduate student in Lancaster University (England) and I have a passion for metal detecting when I am not in UNI. Over the years I have spoke many of my lecturers and research staff about the depth of a metal detector and its soul destroying ability to pick up iron. Now so far I have been told that there is no other way of looking into the ground other than these
http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_pulse_metal_detector.shtml
http://whitesmetaldetector.com/spectrum.shtml

Believe me I am not ready to believe that there is no other way. Please if someone has a bright idea of how to make a new one using Solid State Physics or any other method, then please let me know! Thanks

My guess is that if anybody did have a bright new idea they would be looking into developing it and most reluctant to just give the idea away.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are other ways at looking into the ground. Ground-penetrating-radar is used fo ra lot of stuff, and increasingly popular among archaeologists.

Throw in conductivity measurements.

Try googling archeological geophysics.

Conductivity is what the MineLab company use, they are really good detectors but not very deep. The radar machine that the archaeologists use is not very effective because I knew one guy who spend £9500 to get one and it was rubbish and he couldn't even get his refund! So any other ideas?

1. How do metal detectors work?

Metal detectors use an electromagnetic field to detect metal objects buried in the ground. When the detector's coil is passed over a metal object, it creates a magnetic field that alters the frequency of the detector's signal, indicating the presence of metal.

2. What types of metals can be detected?

Most metal detectors can detect a wide range of metals, including iron, copper, silver, and gold. Some detectors also have the ability to differentiate between different types of metal based on their conductivity.

3. Can metal detectors find objects buried deep in the ground?

The depth at which a metal detector can detect objects depends on the size and type of object, as well as the soil conditions. In general, larger objects can be detected at greater depths than smaller objects, and objects buried in mineral-rich soil may be more easily detected.

4. Are there any limitations to using metal detectors?

Metal detectors are limited by their ability to detect objects only within a certain depth range. They also may not be able to detect very small objects or objects made of low-conductivity metals. Additionally, metal detectors are not able to distinguish between valuable and non-valuable metals.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using metal detectors?

While metal detectors themselves do not pose any safety risks, it is important to obtain permission before using a metal detector on private property. Additionally, caution should be taken when digging to avoid damaging any buried wires or pipes.