Who's good at identifying bugs ?

• Thread starter Raizy
  • Start date
In summary, I found a small black beetle in my reservoir tank that I think might be a water beetle larva. I don't know what it is, but I'm going to let it grow so I can see it better.
Raizy
Anyone know what it could be ?

Attachments

• Its Not a Worm.JPG
    Its Not a Worm.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 457
  • Its Not a Worm 2.JPG
    Its Not a Worm 2.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Monique said:
Where did you get them from?

Anything in here that could be it? http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/pond/insects.html

I found it in my reservoir tank in my aquaponics system. It probably got drained out from the "grow bed". A grow bed is a gravel-filled container where plants will be growing. The grow bed constantly gets flooded with water from a fish tank via water pump and then drains into a reservoir. And then from the reservoir, where the water pump is located, will pump the water back into the fish tank and the cycle repeats.

The only closest thing I can choose from that chart is that its either a mosquito larvae or a water-beetle larva. I really hope it's a water-beetle larva... since mosquitoes got bad rep, right? I think it resembles more of the water-beetle larva though...

Too bad that chart didn't list the sizes. This one I found is roughly 1/8" long.

How would I grow this thing? Maybe I can identify it after it grows.

I don't believe mosquito larvae have pairs of legs on the first 3 segments. That excludes the mosquito.
A water beetle is a good guess, perhaps the http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/hml/jr_cam/macros/efl_spr06/efl_spr06.html" . (scroll down that page)
"[URL
Caddisfly[/URL] larvae also have 3 pairs of legs on 1st three segments. (scroll down to 'Order Trichoptera'). They like fast moving water from which they filter plankton to eat.

Larvae generally go through several molts (in star) stages, getting larger with each successive stage, so the 1/8in long larva, may be one of the intermediary stages. If you want see the adult; it is finding food where you found it, just let it grow. You probably want to put fine screening material around the tank, such that the adult won't be able to fly away, until after you've studied it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What skills are necessary to be good at identifying bugs?

In order to be good at identifying bugs, one should have a strong attention to detail, knowledge of different bug species and their characteristics, familiarity with scientific classification systems, and experience in collecting and observing bugs.

2. How can I improve my bug identification skills?

To improve your bug identification skills, you can join a local entomology club, attend workshops or classes on bug identification, practice collecting and observing bugs in the field, and consult field guides or online resources.

3. Can anyone become good at identifying bugs?

Yes, anyone can become good at identifying bugs with dedication, practice, and the right resources. Some individuals may have a natural aptitude for bug identification, but it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon by anyone.

4. What are some common mistakes made when identifying bugs?

Some common mistakes made when identifying bugs include misidentifying a bug due to its similar appearance to another species, misinterpreting characteristics or measurements, and not considering regional variations in bug species.

5. Is it important to accurately identify bugs?

Accurately identifying bugs is important for various reasons, such as understanding their role in the ecosystem, tracking population changes, and identifying potential threats to crops or human health. It also allows for proper treatment or management of pest infestations.