Question Regarding Radiant Floor Heating

• Thread starter BTB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heating
In summary, a professional is needed to install tile radiant floor heating, but there is a possibility to produce tiles that are pre-cut with resistance wires embedded for easier DIY installation. However, there may be issues with heat retention and waterproofing. One solution could be to use a conductive coating on the underside of the tiles, which could also improve continuity of the circuit. Another idea is to use a highly conductive tile material to transfer heat away from the edges.
BTB
In regard to (tile) radiant floor heating, a professional is needed to come and install a heat-conducting plastic mat with wire lattice-work, hook it up to the home’s electrical system, and then do the standard grout and tile work etc. I was wondering what the possibility would be to produce tiles that are cut in a way so that they would fit together like a puzzle that have the resistance wires already imbedded. This way, the homeowner could install the system himself by laying down precut tile and only have to worry about properly connecting the wires to the home’s electrical system. Perhaps some type of dimmer switch could act as a thermostat.

It seems as though the tile would not retain heat long enough to be proficient without some type of “thermal mass” (is this the correct term?). Do you have any idea if this method would be terribly inefficient without it? Perhaps the same type of polymer without the wires insidencould be cut into lengths in the store and applied at home, underneath the grouting the tiles on top in order to solve this problem.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with this approach. My main issue is how the wires in each tile would connect to one-another in a waterproof fashion. Is there some type of alternative substance that could replace the ceramic tiles in order to retain heat longer? Sorry for the long explanation/question and thank in advance for all of the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a pretty cool idea, I can see how people looking to get heated flooring might like the idea. You need to pay special attention to how the tiles can be cut, and also I would pay attention to how you would attach power to the tiles at the edges of the room. I would probably make it so the wires in the tiles had to all be parallel to each other, and then you could have a long strip at two opposite edges of the room that would supply power to the large parallel grid of wires. Then, all you would need to do is size the power supply based on the size of the room and number of wires in it.

Much better idea than heated roads to replace snowplows :wink:

Probably easier to have a conductive coating across the tile rather than discrete wires then it wouldn't matter how they were cut.

Mech_Engineer said:
Much better idea than heated roads to replace snowplows :wink:

Haha thanks, I like the idea regarding the allignment of the wires.

mgb_phys said:
Probably easier to have a conductive coating across the tile rather than discrete wires then it wouldn't matter how they were cut.

This definitely could be easier ... Is there a specific type of coating that you have in mind that would be able to generate enough heat while still beign able to vary temperatures depending upon the level of current?

I also wonder about waterproofing with this method ... I'm guessing the conductive coating would be on the underside (and not inside, like the wire would be) of each tile?

The coating would alleviate the number one issue with the radiant floor systems in that maintaining continuity of the circuit.

The other aspect of the tiles being wired is that in most tiles, the tiles do not touch each other. They are separated by a grout line. Perhaps that is where the heat could be sourced and have a tile material that is a very good conductor to conduct the heat away from the edges.

What is radiant floor heating?

Radiant floor heating is a type of heating system that uses tubes or electric heating elements installed under the floor to transfer heat directly to the floor surface. This heat then radiates upwards and warms the room.

How does radiant floor heating work?

Radiant floor heating works by circulating hot water or electricity through tubes or heating elements installed under the floor. The heat radiates up from the floor and warms the room evenly and efficiently.

What are the benefits of radiant floor heating?

Some benefits of radiant floor heating include even and efficient heating, no air blowing around like in forced air systems, and no visible heating units taking up space in the room. It can also help with reducing allergies and dust since there is no air being circulated.

Can any type of flooring be used with radiant floor heating?

Most types of flooring can be used with radiant floor heating, including tile, stone, hardwood, and even carpet. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure the flooring material is suitable for use with radiant floor heating.

Is radiant floor heating energy efficient?

Yes, radiant floor heating can be very energy efficient. It eliminates the energy loss that can occur with ductwork in forced air systems and can also be zoned to heat only specific areas of a home, saving energy and money in the long run.