Thermocouple Probe Selection

In summary, the conversation discusses building a system to measure the temperature of water in a tank using a thermocouple probe and thermowell. The temperature range falls within the range of most thermocouple types, but the decision has been narrowed down to K and T types. The purpose of the project is to investigate the dynamic properties of the measurement system and quantify errors caused by heat transfers. It is suggested to use an unshielded junction K-type for the transients being measured. The question is raised about why measuring transients in a tank is preferable to measuring fluid flow. Additionally, models for temperature reconstruction are mentioned and the question of whether the person plans to develop their own or verify existing models is posed.
peter.duncan
Hey guys,

First post so be nice :smile:

I am building a system to measure the temperature of water in a tank. I will be using a thermocouple probe inside a thermowell. My very crude diagram shows the set-up;

2009-11-12181716.jpg

The temperature range is obviously 0-100 degC which seems to fall into almost all thermocouple types. I've narrowed it down to K and T types, but even then the range of product available is huge! When the thermocouple probe has been decided, choosing the thermowell should be easier.

The purpose of the project is to investigate the dynamic properties of the measurement system for fast changes in fluid temperature. The errors will mostly come from heat transfers through the well and probe casing, so I would like these to be measureable.

I want to observe some kind of transient response so I can then try to quantify it.

This seems fairly brief so if you would like more information feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Peter

Engineering news on Phys.org
An unshielded junction K-type should be just fine. You should go unshielded for the transients you are hoping to look at.

I concur that an unshielded K-type would be fine and T-type as well even. But why exactly do you want to measure transients with a tank? Don't you think it would be better to measure fluid flow instead of a static fluid changing temperature?

BTW, models for temperature reconstruction are somewhat common and easy to come by. Are you planning to develop your own or verify models that already exist?

1. What is a thermocouple probe?

A thermocouple probe is a type of temperature sensor that consists of two different types of metal wires joined together at one end. These wires produce a voltage that is proportional to the temperature difference between the two ends, allowing for accurate temperature measurement.

2. How do I choose the right thermocouple probe for my application?

The right thermocouple probe should be chosen based on the specific temperature range and environment of your application. It is important to consider factors such as the type of material being measured, the temperature range, and any potential hazards or corrosive materials that may be present.

3. What are the different types of thermocouple probes available?

There are several types of thermocouple probes available, including Type K, Type J, Type T, Type E, and Type N. These different types have varying temperature ranges and materials, making them suitable for different applications. It is important to choose the right type for your specific needs.

4. How do I ensure accurate temperature readings with a thermocouple probe?

To ensure accurate temperature readings, it is important to properly calibrate your thermocouple probe and regularly check for any signs of wear or damage. Additionally, the probe should be placed in the center of the material being measured and allowed to stabilize for a few seconds before taking a reading.

5. Can a thermocouple probe be used in hazardous environments?

Yes, there are thermocouple probes specifically designed for use in hazardous environments, such as those with high temperatures, extreme pressures, or corrosive materials. These probes are made of durable materials and have protective coatings to ensure safe and accurate temperature measurement in these environments.