May i know is structure such as bcc, fcc depends on how it process?

In summary: It also affects the way light interacts with the material, which can create an attractive or repelling effect.Processes can also affect the crystal structure of a material. For example, when a material is cooled rapidly to a temperature where the existing phase is unstable, but transformation to the stable phase is very slow. One can even make amorphous metals this way. Another possibility is to include additives that stabilize a certain crystal structure, but I wouldn't classify this as processing as much as alloying.In summary, process does affect the material to become sc, hcp,bcc or fcc structure, but it depends on the type of processing.
aiklone1314
i study from some books that the properties of a materials depends on the structure of it, while the structure depends on how it being process..may i know what structure actually it means? i can't get its meaning..does it means the processing methods will influnce whether the materials will be in bcc or fcc structure? or the imperfection of crystal structure? i am quite confused with it..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Surface roughness, grain size and precipitate size (in metals), and degree of crosslinking (in polymers) are all examples of processing-dependent characteristics that affect behavior.

then may i know does process affect the material to becomes sc, hcp,bcc or fcc structure?
does sc, hcp, bcc or fcc structure exist itself in the natural or it depends on the proccesing part?

It can depend on processing, such as when a material is cooled rapidly to a temperature where the existing phase is unstable, but transformation to the stable phase is very slow. One can even make amorphous metals this way. Another possibility is to include additives that stabilize a certain crystal structure, but I wouldn't classify this as processing as much as alloying.

aiklone1314 said:
then may i know does process affect the material to becomes sc, hcp,bcc or fcc structure?
does sc, hcp, bcc or fcc structure exist itself in the natural or it depends on the proccesing part?
Metals have inherent crystal structure. Some of fcc or bcc and others are hcp. That is a property of the element. Alloys are more complex, but usually take the crystal structure of the predominant element. Some alloys can take two forms based on processing.

Grain size is affected by cooling rate from liquid. The more rapid the quench, the finer the grain size. Solid materials can be hot or cold worked, which causes the formation of dislocations, lines of defects in the crystal, which when the metal is annealed form new grain boundaries.

Surface finish/roughness affects the interactions with environment. A rougher surface offers more surface area for chemical interaction, e.g., corrosion, or mechanical affects, e.g. friction.

1. What is the difference between bcc and fcc structures?

The main difference between bcc (body-centered cubic) and fcc (face-centered cubic) structures is the arrangement of atoms. In a bcc structure, atoms are arranged in a cubic lattice with one atom at each corner and one in the center of the cube. In fcc structures, there are atoms at each corner and one in the center of each face of the cube.

2. How do bcc and fcc structures affect the properties of a material?

The structure of a material can greatly impact its properties. Bcc structures tend to be more ductile and have higher melting points, while fcc structures are typically more malleable and have lower melting points. This is due to the different arrangements of atoms and how they interact with each other.

3. What factors determine whether a material will have a bcc or fcc structure?

The structure of a material is determined by its atomic bonding and the size of its atoms. Bcc structures are often found in materials with strong metallic bonds and smaller atoms, while fcc structures are more common in materials with weaker bonds and larger atoms.

4. Can a material have both bcc and fcc structures?

Yes, some materials can have both bcc and fcc structures. This is known as a mixed or dual-phase structure. It can occur when a material undergoes a phase transformation, such as during heating or cooling, causing a change in its atomic arrangement.

5. How does the processing method affect the structure of a material?

The processing method can have a significant impact on the structure of a material. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and cooling rate can influence the arrangement of atoms and ultimately determine whether a material will have a bcc or fcc structure. Additionally, different processing methods can also lead to the formation of different phases and structures within a material.