Nuclear weapons active research program/new designs?

In summary: ! in summary, it seems like there is some research being done into nuclear weapons, but it's mostly secretive and there's no guarantee that the development of a nuclear weapon would be allowed.
ensabah6
reading my earlier thread about India and thorium
Astronuc said:
Pu systems are smaller and yields higher (better for muliple (cluster) warhead systems), and they make for better triggers for thermonuclear weapons.

makes me wonder whether nuclear weapons remains an active engineering field with any new proposed designs of nuclear weapons?

hard to imagine given the cold war is over and current h-bombs are powerful enough

Engineering news on Phys.org
ensabah6 said:
hard to imagine given the cold war is over and current h-bombs are powerful enough
Current H bombs are too powerful, that's why you can't use them.
A bomb that was only the equivalent of a few tons to a few 10s of tons of TNT might be very useful against caves or concrete bunkers and by not killing the surrounding 100,000 people you might be more tempted to use one.

Of course developing one would be against all sorts of treaties and non-proliferation conventions so obviously no-one would dream of doing it.

mgb_phys said:
Current H bombs are too powerful, that's why you can't use them.
A bomb that was only the equivalent of a few tons to a few 10s of tons of TNT might be very useful against caves or concrete bunkers and by not killing the surrounding 100,000 people you might be more tempted to use one.

Of course developing one would be against all sorts of treaties and non-proliferation conventions so obviously no-one would dream of doing it.

so there's actual research into this? do nuclear engineering programs teach students about how to engineer nuclear bombs?

ensabah6 said:
so there's actual research into this?
Research yes - development would be illegal.

do nuclear engineering programs teach students about how to engineer nuclear bombs?
In N. Korea possibly. In most countries nuclear weapon design tends to be a bit more secret.

ensabah6 said:
so there's actual research into this? do nuclear engineering programs teach students about how to engineer nuclear bombs?
To my knowledge, no. Most programs provide sufficient background to enable one to calculate critical masses of fissile materials. Much of what was in the public domain has been removed since the 1980's.

The program in which I obtained my degrees had a course in nuclear weapons, but it was restricted. Ultimately it was discontinued.

Nuclear weapons research is conducted under controlled and restricted conditions at certain national labs. People involved do not talk about their work outside of the lab.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Current H bombs are too powerful, that's why you can't use them...
Most of the modern weapons are hybrids. As Astronuc indicated, Pu is used to ingite secondary thermonuclear (i.e. fusion) explosions, using H based fuel.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
To my knowledge, no. Most programs provide sufficient background to enable one to calculate critical masses of fissile materials. Much of what was in the public domain has been removed since the 1980's.

The program in which I obtained my degrees had a course in nuclear weapons, but it was restricted. Ultimately it was discontinued.

you answered my questions, thanks

1. What is a nuclear weapons active research program?

A nuclear weapons active research program is a program conducted by a government or military to research and develop new technologies and designs for nuclear weapons. This can include testing and refining existing weapons, as well as creating new and more advanced designs.

2. Why do countries have nuclear weapons active research programs?

Countries have nuclear weapons active research programs in order to maintain and improve their nuclear capabilities. This can serve as a deterrent against potential enemies, as well as a way to maintain a sense of power and influence on the international stage.

3. How is nuclear weapons research carried out?

Nuclear weapons research is typically carried out in specialized research facilities, where scientists and engineers work on designing and testing new technologies and designs. This can involve computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and underground nuclear testing.

4. What are the potential risks and benefits of a nuclear weapons active research program?

The potential risks of a nuclear weapons active research program include the potential for accidents or leaks that could lead to devastating consequences, as well as the potential for an arms race and increased tensions between countries. The potential benefits include a stronger defense and deterrence against threats, as well as potential advancements in technology and scientific knowledge.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on nuclear weapons active research programs?

There are various international treaties, such as the Non-Proliferation Treaty, that aim to regulate and limit the development and use of nuclear weapons. However, not all countries have signed or abide by these treaties, and there are still ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the ethics and control of nuclear weapons research and development.