How Do You Solve a Particle's Velocity Equation with Variable Acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves a particle starting from rest and traveling with an acceleration that is dependent on its velocity. The goal is to find the time when the velocity of the particle is 90 ft/s. To solve this, the equations 1) ads=vdv and 2) if a=g-kv are used, and the third equation, v(t)=g/k[1-e^(-kt)] is derived. This equation is then used to solve the differential equation dv/dt = 30 - .2v and find v as a function of t.
Il-J

Homework Statement

A particle starts from rest and travels along a straight line with an acceleration a = (30-0.2v)ft\s^(2), where v is in ft/s. Determine the time when the velocity of the particle is v = 90 ft/s.

Homework Equations

1) ads=vdv
2) if a=g-kv
3) then v(t)=g/k[1-e^(-kt)]

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved it, the answer is 4.58 s but the question expected me to be able to manipulate the first two equations to acquire the third, or maybe introduce another equation, regardless could someone please explain the steps leading up to the third equation?
my first instinct was to divide everything by a to acquire 1=g/a-kt and integrate implicidly with respect to t, but realized i didnt know what i was doing when it came down to the a.

Physics news on Phys.org
a = dv/dt, so you could rewrite your given equation as dv/dt = 30 - .2v, v(0) = 0, and solve this differential equation for v.

thanks, but I am not quite there, i do that and v=g/k(1-(dv/dt)/g) so that implies that dv/dt=ge^(-kt), but now where does that come from? sorry, but I am really having trouble wrapping my head around the concepts here

Where did you get v=g/k(1-(dv/dt)/g)? Are you just solving for v in the equation dv/dt = 30 - .2v?

I solved the differential equation and got v as a function of t.

1. What is a differential a(v) problem?

A differential a(v) problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a variable. It is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve problems involving motion, growth, and decay.

2. How is a differential a(v) problem different from a regular derivative?

A differential a(v) problem is a type of derivative that takes into account the change in both the independent variable and the function. In contrast, a regular derivative only considers the change in the function with respect to the independent variable.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential a(v) problems?

Differential a(v) problems have many practical applications, including predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling population growth, and analyzing the speed of a moving object. They are also used in fields such as economics, engineering, and biology.

4. How do you solve a differential a(v) problem?

To solve a differential a(v) problem, you first need to set up an equation that represents the relationship between the function and its rate of change. Then, you can use various techniques, such as separation of variables or substitution, to find the solution. It is also important to check the solution for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving differential a(v) problems?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving differential a(v) problems include incorrect application of the chain rule, forgetting to account for constants, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double-check your work and carefully follow the steps of the solution process to avoid these mistakes.