EU/UK Citizenship Requirements: What You Need to Know

• News
  • Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary: This means that you're allowed to live and work in the UK, and can apply for British citizenship after five years.
Jurrasic
Is it truly (close to) impossible to be granted citizenship in the EU or UK?
One thing is that you have a much better chance of being granted citizenship if your employer over in the EU or the UK deems that you are in high demand because of your degree or area of study, i.e. a useful trade of some sort should have an easy time being granted citizenship, The Eu has the highest standard of living in the world pretty much. You really don't have a chance unless you have a useful trade, and no one would marry you because most people in the EU don't want American citizenship , correct?

The other thing is that

You have no chance if you can't contribute to their society but that is just the tip of the iceberg , There are stipulations to obtaining citizenship too. Its seems harder to move there then it does to get into the USA. EU also has the most happy people also, But what are the other stipulations and such, isn't having a useful high in demand degree enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jurrasic said:
One thing is that you have a much better chance of being granted citizenship if your employer over in the EU or the UK deems that you are in high demand because of your degree or area of study, i.e. a useful trade of some sort should have an easy time being granted citizenship, The Eu has the highest standard of living in the world pretty much. You really don't have a chance unless you have a useful trade, and no one would marry you because most people in the EU don't want American citizenship , correct?

The other thing is that

You have no chance if you can't contribute to their society but that is just the tip of the iceberg , There are stipulations to obtaining citizenship too. Its seems harder to move there then it does to get into the USA. EU also has the most happy people also, But what are the other stipulations and such, isn't having a useful high in demand degree enough?

What's your problem? I honestly do not see anything in your post except for your apparently highly biased opinion... which means there is nothing usefull in it. Yes Europe is amazing we all bow down.

Sorry! said:
What's your problem? I honestly do not see anything in your post except for your apparently highly biased opinion... which means there is nothing usefull in it. Yes Europe is amazing we all bow down.

If anyone knows, - one question was, what are some of the stipulations to being granted citizenship, this isn't really my opinion , this is what was said by someone else, and I am wondering what their line of reasoning was, which begs the question, I'd like to know what some of the stipulations are, with regards to what makes it so difficult to be granted citizenship to the EU or the UK ?

Jurrasic said:

It's certainly not impossible. There are different procedures to obtaining citizenship of each European country, so it's difficult to compare. In the UK, for example, I think it's fairly straightforward to obtain citizenship: you need to reside in the country for five years, and then pass a simple(ish) test on history and culture. The former is the hardest part and, unless you've got an employer who is keen to offer you a job, it may be difficult to get in in the first place. However, things have changed recently to a new points based immigration system, which means that if you have a higher degree, then it's likely you'll be admitted under the 'highly skilled worker' section.

and no one would marry you because most people in the EU don't want American citizenship , correct

Firstly, please don't hint towards the fact that you'll marry for a passport. Secondly, you don't immediately become a citizen of the UK if you marry a UK citizen. You do, however, obtain 'right of abode.'

1. What is the difference between EU and UK citizenship?

EU citizenship refers to being a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Union, while UK citizenship specifically refers to being a citizen of the United Kingdom.

2. Do I need to be a citizen of an EU country to live and work in the UK?

No, you do not need to be a citizen of an EU country to live and work in the UK. However, you may need to obtain a visa or work permit depending on your circumstances.

3. Can I still apply for EU citizenship after the UK leaves the EU?

If you are a UK citizen, you will no longer be able to apply for EU citizenship after the UK officially leaves the EU. However, if you are a citizen of an EU country and meet the requirements, you can still apply for EU citizenship.

4. What are the requirements for obtaining UK citizenship?

The requirements for obtaining UK citizenship vary depending on your individual circumstances, but generally include living in the UK for a certain period of time, passing a citizenship test, and having a good understanding of the English language.

5. Will my EU citizenship be affected if I obtain UK citizenship?

If you are a citizen of an EU country and obtain UK citizenship, you will still retain your EU citizenship. However, if you are a UK citizen and obtain citizenship in another EU country, you will lose your UK citizenship.