Ray Tracing and Image Formation with a Concave Lens

In summary: The object is not at the focal point but is closer to the lens than the focal point. Because the object is closer to the concave lens than the focal point, the image is virtual and diminished. The ray diagram does not display a magnification of less than 1, but this is the case.
binhnguyent9

Homework Statement

1011688.jpg

If the focal length of the concave lens is -7.50 cm, at what distance d_o from the lens should an object be placed so that its image is formed 3.70 cm from the lens?
What is the magnification m produced by the concave lens described in above?
Where should the object be moved to have a larger magnification?

a) The object should be moved closer to the lens.
b) The object should be moved farther from the lens.
c) The object should be moved to the focal point of the lens.
d) The object should not be moved closer to the lens than the focal point.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

none

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete tutorial solution

Part (a)

If the focal length of the concave lens is -7.50 cm, at what distance d_o from the lens should an object be placed so that its image is formed 3.70 cm from the lens?

We will eschew the use of numbers in favor of symbols. Use the thin lens equation. With concave lenses, I find that number substitution is less confusing if the absolute value of the focal length is used explicitly.
$$\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}=-\frac{1}{|f|}~\implies~d_o=-\frac{|f|d_i}{(|f|+d_i)}.$$A note about number substitution: One needs to be careful when substituting in the above equation. Clearly ##|f|=7.50~##cm. Because the image of the concave lens is formed on the same side as the object (where light has no business being because lenses transmit light), it is virtual. Therefore, sustitute ##d_i=-3.70~##cm in the equation. This will give a positive ##d_o## value.

Part (b)
What is the magnification m produced by the concave lens described in above?

The magnification is $$m=-\frac{d_i}{d_o}=+\frac{d_i+|f|}{|f|}.$$Since ##d_i## is negative, the magnification is positive and less than 1 so the virtual image is erect and diminished.

Part (c)
Where should the object be moved to have a larger magnification?
We need an expression for the magnification in terms of ##d_o## only. To do that we first find ##d_i## in terms of ##d_o## and the focal length $$\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}=-\frac{1}{|f|}~\implies~d_i=-\frac{|f|d_o}{(|f|+d_o)}$$Then $$m=-\frac{d_i}{d_o}=+\frac{|f|}{(|f|+d_o)}$$This says that the smaller ##d_o##, the larger the magnification. The image is always diminished and reaches magnification 1 when the object is right up against the lens. Thanks to our commendable foresight to use the absolute value of the focal length, we see that there is no divide-by-zero problem in the expression.

Answer: a) The object should be moved closer to the lens.

The rest of the problem
I am not sure what ray diagrams A - D are supposed to show. Only one of them, A, is correctly drawn.

1. What is ray tracing?

Ray tracing is a method used in optics to determine the path of light rays as they travel through an optical system. It is an important tool for understanding how images are formed in lenses and mirrors.

2. How does a concave lens form an image?

A concave lens is thicker at the edges and thinner at the center. When light rays pass through this type of lens, they are bent away from the center, causing the image to appear smaller and upside down.

3. What is the focal length of a concave lens?

The focal length of a concave lens is the distance from the center of the lens to the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens. It is a measure of the lens's optical power and is typically expressed in meters.

4. How does the position of an object affect the image formed by a concave lens?

The position of an object in relation to a concave lens can affect the size and orientation of the image formed. If the object is placed between the lens and its focal point, the image will be larger and inverted. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be smaller and upright.

5. Can a concave lens produce a real image?

No, a concave lens can only produce a virtual image, which is an image that cannot be projected onto a screen. This is because the light rays do not actually converge to a point after passing through the lens, but appear to diverge from a virtual image location.