Surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the surface area of a region bounded by f(x)=x^3, y=1, and x=2 when f(x) is revolved around the line x=5. The formula for surface area was mentioned and the question of how to find the radius and height when rotating around a different axis was raised. Through further explanation and a visual diagram, it was determined that the radius would be 5-x and this could be plugged into the formula to find the surface area.
BoldKnight399
Consider the region R bounded by f(x)=x^3, y =1, and x = 2. Find the surface area when f(x) is revolved around the line x=5.

I know that the equation for surface area is the intergal from a to b of 2pi*r*h dx
in all of the examples that I had done in class, everything was around the x or y axis. I don't even understand how to get my r or my h in this case. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoldKnight399 said:
Consider the region R bounded by f(x)=x^3, y =1, and x = 2. Find the surface area when f(x) is revolved around the line x=5.

I know that the equation for surface area is the intergal from a to b of 2pi*r*h dx
in all of the examples that I had done in class, everything was around the x or y axis. I don't even understand how to get my r or my h in this case. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you understand where the formula you've mentioned comes from (when it rotates around y-axis)?

Here the case is similar, except, the radius of the cylindrical shell is different. The height of the shell is still the same. Can you work out the radius?

I do vaguely remember deriving and showing where the formula came from in class. My problem is that I just can't visualize and understand how to alter it to make it fit the way we managed to in the examples around the y or x-axis for the radius.

Try drawing a diagram.

You have an ALMOST trapezium-like element with sides on x-axis and x = 2, y = 1 and y = x^3 from 0 to 2. Now the formula you know is:

[tex]
V=2\pi \int_a^b xf(x)dx
[/tex]

Here, x is the radius, when it rotates about the y-axis. Now it rotates about x = 5. How would you define the radius now?

5-x? I think

Exactly. Plugging that into your formula should give you the correct result.

ooo I get it! Ok thank you soooo much

What is surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis?

Surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis is the measure of the total area of the curved surface formed when a two-dimensional shape is rotated around a different axis, such as the y-axis or a diagonal axis.

How is surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis calculated?

The surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis is calculated by using the formula 2π∫f(x)√(1+(f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the function representing the shape and f'(x) is the derivative of the function.

What is the difference between surface area when revolved around the x-axis and when revolved around something else?

The main difference between surface area when revolved around the x-axis and when revolved around something else is the axis of rotation. When revolved around the x-axis, the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the x-axis, while when revolved around something else, the axis of rotation can be any other line or curve.

Can any shape be revolved around something other than the x-axis?

Yes, any two-dimensional shape can be revolved around something other than the x-axis. However, the resulting surface area may be more difficult to calculate or may require more advanced mathematical techniques.

What are some real-life applications of surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis?

Surface area when revolved around something other than the x-axis has various applications in engineering, architecture, and design. For example, it is used to calculate the surface area of curved structures, such as domes, arches, and bridges. It is also used in the design of 3D-printed objects and in the study of fluid dynamics.