Factorising a complicated Quadratic

• Thread starter stevemilw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary: In this case, the coefficients of x^3 and x^2 are the same, so the rational roots of the equation are x = ±1, ±2, ±3, ±6.
stevemilw
Hello, I am revising eigenvalues in matrices and I've come across a part where i need to factorise the following quadratic equation; let lander = x
36-36x+11x^2-x^3 = 0
I know that the answer is (x-2)(-x^2+9x-18), but i don't know how he got to it.
Ive look through google but i can't find any information on quadratics of this type.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Quadratic suggests polynomial of 2nd degree, that is one with the highest power 2. Here you have x3, so it is a cubic polynomial.

aaah i see, i know it = 0 however, that's probably why i haven't been able to find search results, ill have a look again, thank you

hhhm, I am still not finding any decent material. I will continue this in the morning.

can someone please go through how this is done, i can't find an easy way to do it, or any help or google
Thanks

You can try to use the Rational Roots theorem. If x = p/q with p and q integers that don't have any factors in common, then p will divide the constant term and q will divide the coefficent of the highest power of x.

In this case we have:

f(x) = 0

with

f(x) = x^3 - 11 x^2 + 36 x - 36

A rational zero of f thus has to be an integer that divides 36. They can thus be:

x= ±1, ±2, ±3, ±4, ±6, ±9, ±12, ±18, ±36

Since were too lazy to try out all these 18 candidates, we're going to use the following trick. Let's substitute for x some random integer r such that f(r) is some ugly number with only a few divisors. How will that help?

Consider the polynomial g(y) defined as:

g(y) = f(r+y)

We apply the Rational Roots theorem to g(y). We note that to do that you don't need to expand out f(r+y), all you need are the coefficients of y^3 and the constant term of f(1+y). The constant term is the value for y = 0, which is f(r) = ugly number with only a few divisors. The coefficient of y^3 is the same as the coefficient of x^3, so the rational roots of g(y) are those few divisors of the ugly number f(r)

Since g(y) = f(r+y), adding r to these candidates gives the possible rational roots for f.

E.g., we have that f(5) = -6. Tis means that the possible rational roots of g(y) = f(5+y) are:

y = ±1, ±2, ±3, ±6

The possible rational roots of f are thus:

x = 5+y = -1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11

But the rational roots also have to be divisors of 36, therefore we can strike out any items in the list that are not divisors of 36, leaving us with:

x = -1, 2, 3, 4, 6,

If we try f(-1), we see that f(-1) = -84. If we then take r = -1 and play the same game as above, we see that the list of candidates is reduced to:

x = 2, 3, 6

These are in fact the three roots of f.

okay, thanks for the reply, but how does knowing the roots help me in factoring the expression.
What i am trying to do is but it into two brackets.
Sorry if i sound stupid, but I am not seeing as too how this helps. X can be treated as any value when i put it into brackets, so why am i finding the roots? that was all way too complicated for me I am afraid.

1. What is factorising a complicated quadratic?

Factorising a complicated quadratic is the process of breaking down a quadratic equation into simpler, smaller expressions that when multiplied together, result in the original equation.

2. Why is factorising a complicated quadratic important?

Factorising a complicated quadratic is important because it allows us to solve quadratic equations easily and efficiently. It also helps us to identify the roots or solutions of the equation.

3. How do I factorise a complicated quadratic?

To factorise a complicated quadratic, you need to find two numbers that when multiplied together, give you the constant term and when added or subtracted, give you the coefficient of the middle term. These numbers will be the factors that you can use to break down the equation into simpler expressions.

4. What are the different methods for factorising a complicated quadratic?

There are several methods for factorising a complicated quadratic, including the AC method, the grouping method, and the difference of squares method. Each method has its own advantages and can be used depending on the type of quadratic equation.

5. Can I use factorising to solve any quadratic equation?

Yes, factorising can be used to solve any quadratic equation. However, not all quadratic equations can be easily factorised. In some cases, other methods such as completing the square or using the quadratic formula may be needed.