Mass spring system where springs have mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to model a spring system where the springs hold mass and the challenge of understanding how to model potential energy or force on two masses connected by three springs. The suggestion to apply Newton's laws is given, along with the explanation of the constant length due to grounding. The difficulty of compiling kinetic and potential energies is also mentioned.
sleventh
hello all,
Recently I have been attempting to model a spring system (see below) where the springs themselves will hold mass. I should know how to do this but i accept defeat, how do you model the potential energy or a force system on two masses connected to three springs? I have read about effective mass but i fail to fully understand. Thank you all for the celerity.
_
\
/
\
[M1]
/
\
/
[M2]
\
/
_\_

In this design the spring system is vertical and grounded on both ends. Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply Newton's laws. If l1,l2,l3 are the lengths of the springs at a time t ,l1+l2+l3 =constant due to the grounding. Hence, you get two equations in two unknowns.

yes I've been doing that and also derived the kinetic energy for the springs (1/6 mv^2 because of the springs mass per length) but am having difficulty compiling the kinetic energies and potentials.

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass connected to one or more springs, allowing for the mass to oscillate back and forth.

2. Why do the springs in a mass spring system have mass?

The springs in a mass spring system have mass because they are made of physical materials that have a certain mass. This mass affects the behavior and motion of the system.

3. What is the equation that governs the motion of a mass spring system?

The equation that governs the motion of a mass spring system is the second-order differential equation known as Hooke's Law: F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the mass of the springs affect the behavior of a mass spring system?

The mass of the springs affects the natural frequency and period of the mass spring system. A system with heavier springs will have a lower natural frequency and a longer period, while a system with lighter springs will have a higher natural frequency and a shorter period.

5. Are there any real-world applications of mass spring systems?

Yes, mass spring systems have a wide range of real-world applications, including in mechanical and civil engineering, in musical instruments such as guitars and pianos, and in shock absorbers in vehicles.