Multivariate IBP Homework: Evaluating ∫ukduiP(u,y,t) du

In summary, Multivariate IBP Homework is a type of mathematical homework assignment that involves evaluating an integral using the IBP method. The notation ∫ukduiP(u,y,t) du represents an integral where u is the variable being integrated, k is a constant, i is the index of the integral, and P(u,y,t) is the function being integrated. To evaluate a multivariate IBP homework problem, one must follow the steps of the IBP method and be careful to avoid common mistakes such as using incorrect formulas and not checking for accuracy. Helpful tips for solving multivariate IBP homework include carefully reading and understanding the problem, organizing work and steps clearly, and practicing regularly.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

For [itex] u \in \mathbb R^n [/itex] and [itex] P(u,y,t): \mathbb R^n \times U \times \mathbb R \to \mathbb R^n [/itex] for some undisclosed set U, we want to evaluate

[tex]\int u_k \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} \left[ u_j P(u,y,t) \right] du [/tex]

where integration is component wise and [itex] du = du_1 du_2 \cdots du_n [/itex], and one is finished when all terms are expressed as

[tex] \int u_r P(u,y,t) du [/tex] for any index r.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried jumping straight to integration by parts, but it doesn't seem to yield anything pretty without explicitly going into cases such as "if i=j, but j [itex] \neq [/itex] k" yada yada. Next I tried expanding out the derivative

[tex] \begin{align*}
\int u_k \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} \left[ u_j P(u,y,t) \right] du &= \int u_k \left[ \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial u_i}P + u_j \frac{\partial P }{\partial u_i} \right] du \\
&= \int u_k \delta_{ij} P du + \int u_k u_j \frac{\partial P }{\partial u_i} du
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Now the first term is in a state that I want it. My problem is dealing with the second term. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

One approach you could try is using the product rule for derivatives to expand out the second term:

\begin{align*}
\int u_k u_j \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} du &= \int u_k \left( u_j \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} + P \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial u_i} \right) du \\
&= \int u_k u_j \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} du + \int u_k P \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial u_i} du
\end{align*}

Now, the first term on the right-hand side is the same as the original integral, so you can substitute it in and simplify. For the second term, you can use the chain rule to express it in terms of the original function P. This should help you to simplify the integral and express it in the desired form.

What is Multivariate IBP Homework?

Multivariate IBP (Iterated Bessel Process) Homework is a type of mathematical homework assignment that involves evaluating an integral using the IBP method. It is commonly assigned to students studying advanced mathematics, statistics, or physics.

What does the notation ∫ukduiP(u,y,t) du mean?

The notation ∫ukduiP(u,y,t) du represents an integral where u is the variable being integrated, k is a constant, i is the index of the integral, and P(u,y,t) is the function being integrated. The du at the end indicates that the variable being integrated is u.

How do I evaluate a multivariate IBP homework problem?

To evaluate a multivariate IBP homework problem, you will need to follow the steps of the IBP method. This involves using a specific set of formulas and techniques to simplify the integral and solve for the final answer. It is important to carefully follow each step and check your work to ensure accuracy.

What are some common mistakes made when solving multivariate IBP homework?

Some common mistakes made when solving multivariate IBP homework include forgetting to use the correct formulas, making mistakes in the integration process, and not checking the final answer for accuracy. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas and techniques.

What are some helpful tips for solving multivariate IBP homework?

Some helpful tips for solving multivariate IBP homework include carefully reading and understanding the problem, organizing your work and steps clearly, using the correct formulas and techniques, checking your work for accuracy, and seeking help or clarification if needed. It is also important to practice and review the IBP method regularly to improve your skills.