Science Fiction Trivia Contest

In summary, the author of the series of novels written under the pseudonym of Paul French, was not French and the book's hero was a robot who passed an impossible test.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know if this will work, but I thought we might try something a little different. As with other contests, get the answer, ask the next question, but the difficult part is to give a clue or clues that would not be easily searchable. So, only one or a few keys words should be used that in themselves would act as a clue to the well-informed. The clue should be distinct enough to act as a pointer, but should not have any specific reference to the sci-fi series, movie, or book being implicity referenced.

I'll start with one that should be fairly easy.

What happens if you blink?

Physics news on Phys.org
The statues can move!

MotoH said:
The statues can move!

Correct! The Weeping Angels, Dr. Who. You're up.

Also, as is normally done, in the event that we have no good guesses, we need to allow for additional clues if requested.

the Kast was an imposter with no virtues or loyalty.

Crud, I have no idea!

Googlable.

Shall I give another hint?

aruetii, beskar'gam, mando'a

I will give it until tonight at 10pm and I will put up a new riddle.

You've got it!

Your turn!

I have to go to sleep, so to post something fast - something I have ready for reasons other than SF.

sf01.jpg

Borek said:
I have to go to sleep, so to post something fast - something I have ready for reasons other than SF.

sf01.jpg

Fantasy Island?
The Island of Doctor Moreau?

No. Hint:

blue_whale.jpg

This is taken from http://myanimalblog.wordpress.com/2008/02/ . And the first picture on the page - the one with white shark - is related as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I knew that reusing an old picture I am risking someone will spot it, but I was too :zzz: to think about something new.

I see, anyway, let's keep the next one as a visual clue as well.

A screen-shot from a streetview pic in Google Earth

10z7kes.jpg

What kind of music was played in Hotel Martinet?

Andre said:
What kind of music was played in Hotel Martinet?

Bobby Millette and his orchestra played dance music.

From the Radio Broadcast of "War of the Worlds".

Exactly, the Google Earth screen capture is made at position 40°18'47.44"N 74°36'14.60"W in Grovers Mill, NJ where the first Martian landed. The memorial is at the other side of that field.

The original broadcast

Andre said:
Exactly, the Google Earth screen capture is made at position 40°18'47.44"N 74°36'14.60"W in Grovers Mill, NJ where the first Martian landed.

That's pretty much what I thought after I got the second clue.

Okay, let's try this one:

He was a French hero

Janus said:
That's pretty much what I thought after I got the second clue.

Okay, let's try this one:

He was a French hero

A long shot, but Georges Méliès??

Charles Deveaux

Next clue:

You could say that he was a fortunate sun.

No new guesses, so here's another clue.

French was the author, but the author wasn't French.

Lucky Starr

Got it before seeing your last clue. :biggrin:

These boxers could be found in storage.

Ivan Seeking said:
Lucky Starr

Got it before seeing your last clue. :biggrin:

Correct! He was the hero of a series of novels written by Isaac Asimov under the pen-name of Paul French. (The last clue, which you apparently didn't need, was a double clue; referring both to the fact that "French" was not a nationality and that it was not the author's real name.

And, as I expected, you knew the answer was the right one once you came up with it, as I see that you've already given your first clue.

Janus said:
And, as I expected, you knew the answer was the right one once you came up with it, as I see that you've already given your first clue.

Yes, the high confidence motivated me to keep things moving. No egg on the face this time. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

If I had meant sliding, I would have said sliders.

Ivan Seeking said:

I'll hazard a guess.

The Robot prize fighters from The Twilight Zone Episode "Steel".

At times you could find them at a hotel, but it was no use calling them on the phone. They wouldn't answer.

Uh oh, if no one gets this one, I think we have a problem. But what can one expect for $6K.

It was a U-Haul storage unit.

NEW QUESTION: The first person to get this or the previous question goes next. This question includes a non-sci-fi reference.

What is the connection between Mayberry, North Carolina, and the Corbomite Maneuver.

Ivan Seeking said:
NEW QUESTION: The first person to get this or the previous question goes next. This question includes a non-sci-fi reference.

What is the connection between Mayberry, North Carolina, and the Corbomite Maneuver.

The last one, I remember! He passed the impossible test this way, I think... James Tiberius Kirk.

nope :biggrin: