D'alembert solution Help (easy)

• Thread starter Niall101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    D'alembert
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with understanding a specific equation. They have searched for examples and attached an example they are trying to replicate. They ask if anyone can show them how it works or provide a similar example. They confirm they have the equation in question and ask if the integral goes to a constant, expressing their confusion with what to do next.
Niall101
Hi I have been trying to figure out how this method works.

Searched the forum but got no results. Have attached an example I am trying to do. If someone could show me it would be great.

Or even show me a similar example worked out.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• example.gif
    example.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have this equation to work with:

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{f(x-ct)+f(x+ct)}{2}+\frac 1 {2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct}v_0(s)\,ds[/tex]

to work with or are you expected to derive it?

Yes I have this equation. Does the integral go to a constant. ITs after this i don't know what to do

Niall101 said:
Yes I have this equation. Does the integral go to a constant. ITs after this i don't know what to do

Think about this:

[tex]\int_a^b 0\ dt = c|_a^b = c - c = 0[/tex]

Hi there,

D'alembert solution is a mathematical method used to solve wave equations, specifically the linear wave equation. It involves breaking down the problem into simpler parts and using a change of variables to transform it into a standard form that can be easily solved. This method is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

To understand how this method works, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of differential equations and Fourier series. D'alembert solution uses the Fourier transform to decompose the original wave equation into a series of simpler equations, which can then be solved separately and combined to find the solution to the original problem.

I recommend looking for online resources or textbooks that provide step-by-step examples of how to apply D'alembert solution to different types of wave equations. This will help you understand the process and how to use it for your specific problem.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your problem-solving.

What is the D'alembert solution?

The D'alembert solution is a method used in calculus and physics to solve certain types of partial differential equations. It involves transforming the partial differential equation into a simpler ordinary differential equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

When is the D'alembert solution used?

The D'alembert solution is typically used to solve wave equations, such as the one-dimensional wave equation or the two-dimensional wave equation. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

How is the D'alembert solution derived?

The D'alembert solution is derived using the method of characteristics, which involves finding a set of curves along which the solution remains constant. By applying this method to the original partial differential equation, we can obtain a simpler ordinary differential equation that can be solved using standard techniques.

What are the advantages of using the D'alembert solution?

The D'alembert solution is advantageous because it allows us to solve partial differential equations using techniques from ordinary differential equations, which are often more familiar and easier to work with. It also provides a general solution that can be applied to a wide range of problems in physics and engineering.

Are there any limitations to the D'alembert solution?

Yes, there are limitations to the D'alembert solution. It can only be applied to linear partial differential equations, and it may not work for all types of boundary conditions. In addition, the D'alembert solution assumes that the solution is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.