Direction of Tree Branch Growth

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of growth of branches and whether it is solely determined by light and gravity. The speaker argues that there may be other forces at play, but others disagree and point to evidence that supports the role of light and gravity. The fine structure and avoidance of other branches is also mentioned as evidence.
thedore
I've had some arguments after I assumed ( perhaps wrongly) that electric fields were responsible for the direction that branches grow in. In any case my inquires on this all result in the same answers. That the direction of growth is determined by light and gravity. Do all you agree with this? To me it seems impossible. Branches have a fine structure and they always know how to avoid other branches close by. In some cases two trees will branch out away from each other but will not send branches toward the other tree. Also branches will develop so that they never touch each other. I think there has to be some other force that enters into this. Any commits?

Physics news on Phys.org
thedore said:
I've had some arguments after I assumed ( perhaps wrongly) that electric fields were responsible for the direction that branches grow in. In any case my inquires on this all result in the same answers. That the direction of growth is determined by light and gravity. Do all you agree with this? To me it seems impossible. Branches have a fine structure and they always know how to avoid other branches close by. In some cases two trees will branch out away from each other but will not send branches toward the other tree. Also branches will develop so that they never touch each other. I think there has to be some other force that enters into this. Any commits?

Gravity and the direction of light (which is a kind of disturbance to the electric field) do affect the directions that branches grow in, anybody can verify this with a pot plant. (Unless you live somewhere like the ACT, best not that kind of pot plant..) So it's hardly surprising that branches avoid growing into the shadow of nearby trees.

Now sure, plants do communicate in some ways (chemicals from one stressed plant can induce a nearby one to grow thicker bark), but that doesn't seem necessary here. The above paragraph isn't contradicted by the fact that branches also obviously have fine structure, and various features determined by their genetics. Also, if you really believe "branches will [..] never touch each other" go listen for the squeaking (in a bush of eucalypts) on a moderately windy day.

I live in New England.

1. What factors influence the direction of tree branch growth?

The direction of tree branch growth is influenced by several factors, including available sunlight, wind direction, and the tree's genetic code. Sunlight is the main driving force for branch growth, as branches will naturally grow towards the light source. Wind direction can also affect the direction of growth, as trees may develop a slanted or asymmetrical shape due to constant exposure to strong winds. Additionally, the tree's genetic code plays a role in determining the direction of growth, as different species may have unique growth patterns.

2. Why do some branches grow upwards while others grow downwards?

The direction of branch growth is determined by the tree's response to external stimuli. Branches that grow upwards are typically responding to sunlight, as they are trying to reach for the light source. On the other hand, branches that grow downwards may be responding to gravity, as they may be trying to anchor the tree to the ground or reach for vital nutrients in the soil.

3. Can the direction of tree branch growth be manipulated?

Yes, the direction of tree branch growth can be manipulated through various techniques such as pruning, training, and grafting. Pruning involves cutting off certain branches to redirect the tree's growth, while training involves tying or bending branches to encourage growth in a specific direction. Grafting, on the other hand, involves joining two different trees together to influence the direction of growth in the grafted tree.

4. Do trees always grow in a straight line?

No, trees do not always grow in a straight line. As mentioned before, external factors such as sunlight and wind can influence the direction of growth, resulting in trees having a slanted or asymmetrical shape. Additionally, some trees naturally have a zig-zag growth pattern, while others may have multiple trunks or branches that grow in different directions.

5. Is the direction of tree branch growth important for the health of the tree?

Yes, the direction of tree branch growth is essential for the health of the tree. Branches that grow in the wrong direction may cause structural issues, such as imbalances in weight distribution, which can lead to breakage or instability. Properly directed growth also allows for optimal sunlight exposure and nutrient absorption, which are both crucial for a tree's overall health and growth.