Energized Electrons in Chemical Bonding

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of energy levels in electrons on molecular bonding behavior. It is mentioned that the bonding rules in chemistry do not mention this, but when electrons absorb photons and move between energy levels, it can cause changes in the molecule's behavior and even lead to dissociation.
boderam
In chemistry I learned the bonding rules that I learned for various molecules never mentioned anything about the different energy levels in electrons. Now that I know electrons can have various energy levels from absorption of photons, I would like to know if this changes the behavior of molecules in bonding other than being able to emit photons of different energy. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I understand what you are asking for, but in principle yes, the molecule can change because of the absorption of a photon. If an electron is excited from a bonding orbital to an anti-bonding orbital, the molecule will relax to the new equilibrium conformation. In some cases it can even dissociate.

1. What are energized electrons in chemical bonding?

Energized electrons in chemical bonding refer to electrons that have been given extra energy and are in an excited state. This can occur through various processes such as absorption of light or heat, or collisions with other particles. These energized electrons play a crucial role in forming and breaking chemical bonds between atoms.

2. How do energized electrons contribute to chemical reactions?

Energized electrons are responsible for the formation and breaking of chemical bonds, which is a key aspect of chemical reactions. Without energized electrons, chemical reactions would not occur as they provide the necessary energy to initiate and drive these reactions.

3. Can energized electrons exist in a stable state?

Energized electrons can only exist in a stable state for a short period of time before returning to a lower energy state. This is due to the fact that higher energy states are not as stable as lower energy states, and electrons naturally seek to reach the most stable state possible.

4. How do chemists control energized electrons in chemical bonding?

Chemists can control energized electrons in chemical bonding through various methods such as using light or heat to excite electrons, or by manipulating the electron configuration of atoms through chemical reactions. This control allows for the creation of new compounds and materials with specific properties.

5. What are the applications of energized electrons in chemical bonding?

Energized electrons in chemical bonding have numerous applications in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and energy production. They are essential for developing new drugs, designing new materials with specific properties, and improving energy storage and conversion technologies.