Girl in physics and I hate the attention :[

In summary, the physics department at a well-ranked university has an 11 to 1 ratio of men to women, which makes it difficult for a junior female student to get along casually with her fellow students. This situation is getting ridiculous, as she doesn't want to date, doesn't have time to date, and is not attracted to any of the men she tries to hang out with. She is looking for a few people she can hang out with, talk about physics, and possibly moan about classes. However, making friends is a big part of school and those friendships can pay off later on. The question herein is whether there is something wrong with either dating a nerd, or enjoying the finer things
rhody said:
The first thing that came to mind was, "hmmm, she's looking to attract someone (gender unspecified) who is appreciates synesthesia or fine art in some way, lol.

Ahhh yes! I appreciate both. Synesthesia rocks! well in my case, I experience it when I lose large amounts of sleep...I don't know what the connection is! Or maybe i should put this story on the synesthesia thread >_>

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I know how people think. I'm on to you. I know your secret and I'm going to spread the word.

Not harassment kinds of attention, but when guys fawn over them, they love it. I'm not even the kind of guy to do that, but I just really don't buy into their complaints. They'll sacrifice comfort to wear tight clothes, go to the club "just to dance" and then complain later about all the guys who tried hitting on them. Get real.

You know how people think...as in, you know how all people think? I think not.

You should study this thread...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281171

...because it shows that science-oriented people (males and females) tend to be introverted more than the general population. You should then realize introverts *don't* like being the center of attention (e.g., "when guys fawn over them").

Then maybe you should re-think what you "know".

HeLiXe said:
Ahhh yes! I appreciate both. Synesthesia rocks! well in my case, I experience it when I lose large amounts of sleep...I don't know what the connection is! Or maybe i should put this story on the synesthesia thread >_>

HeLiXe,

Yeah, pop over and have a look, link provided here to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2789773&postcount=269". We would like to hear about your history and what form or forms you have. There are interesting personal stories there, including one with PF member waht who discovered his fragmented grapheme -> color synesthesia there by on-line collaboration and experiment. Cool stuff to be sure.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear lord, that's how desperate i'll be if I do physics?? if anyone needs me i'll be on the Geography forum.

lisab said:
...because it shows that science-oriented people (males and females) tend to be introverted more than the general population. You should then realize introverts *don't* like being the center of attention (e.g., "when guys fawn over them").
I am quite sure that most introverted straight girls still wants to attract attention of some guy at times. Wanting attention do not necessarily means that you want to be the center of everyones attention.

Oh boy...this thread is driving me to drink. *leaves it*

HeLiXe said:
Oh boy...this thread is driving me to drink. *leaves it*
I have just the solution, er - beverage for that. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
:rofl:

lisab said:
You know how people think...as in, you know how all people think? I think not.

You should study this thread...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281171

Then maybe you should re-think what you "know".

I just made the generalization for simplification. Just like you made this generalization:
You should then realize introverts *don't* like being the center of attention (e.g., "when guys fawn over them").
Which may be true a lot of the time, but you couldn't possibly conclude that all of them are that way.

Not all attention is pleasant, but that seems to be a concept hard to grasp by some. Maybe you are all polite gentlemen, but generally speaking those are not the ones with the blatant behavior. I'll leave it at that, since it is not an argument that can be won :rolleyes:

*comes back to it*
Astronuc said:

Astronuc...if I didn't know better, I would think you're tryin' ta off me!

HeLiXe said:
*comes back to it*

Astronuc...if I didn't know better, I would think you're tryin' ta off me!
Nah - just being a good host and offering a relaxing and restorative libation.

Monique said:
Not all attention is pleasant, but that seems to be a concept hard to grasp by some.
None said otherwise, the deal is that they want attention they are just not getting the attention they want. Guys in general would do anything to get as much attention from the opposite sex as most girls do, so this discussion is like the C student listening to the A student whining about how he won't get a perfect 4.0 due to a B in some lousy course. To the C student this seems like the A student is just bragging by being shattered after getting that B while the A student don't really know anything else.

Most girls do want that attention, they just don't want it all the time and not everything of it is good, but they don't want to give it up. You know, every time a girl gets annoyed by the attention a guy takes the hit and that hurts way more for the guy than the girl unless the guy is already so damaged that he have detached himself from the whole deal, most call those guys creeps and players.

I understand that attention sucks in many cases but never neglect the other side, I think that this is partly the reason why this discussion is going. Attention is already the easy way out so it hurts to some when people complain about it.

There was a polish woman who came through the foyer today and she had a humungious diamond on her right hand ring finger. She was quite striking with blonde hair and movie star sun glasses on. The queen was on the telly at the UN giving her speech and she asked me who's next in line for the throne. The Brit I was with immediately jumped in and said "Harry" and I said "no" it'll be William since he's oldest. Then I gave her a wink and remarked how it would be nice to have a young, very handsome King for a change... with hopefully some of Diana's sentiments about land mines, environment and poverty. We exchanged names and she said it was hot and that was it.

The English fellow immediately went into this frenzy of wink wink, nod nod... then said "but she's married isn't she"... and I said "no" the ring was on the wrong finger".

I wonder if she had chosen such a huge piece of glass simply to ward off stupid guys that don't know right from left before they say anything.

All of this reminded me of this thread.

Thanks, I think!

baywax said:
There was a polish woman who came through the foyer today and she had a humungious diamond on her right hand ring finger. She was quite striking with blonde hair and movie star sun glasses on. The queen was on the telly at the UN giving her speech and she asked me who's next in line for the throne. The Brit I was with immediately jumped in and said "Harry" and I said "no" it'll be William since he's oldest. Then I gave her a wink and remarked how it would be nice to have a young, very handsome King for a change... with hopefully some of Diana's sentiments about land mines, environment and poverty. We exchanged names and she said it was hot and that was it.

The English fellow immediately went into this frenzy of wink wink, nod nod... then said "but she's married isn't she"... and I said "no" the ring was on the wrong finger".

I wonder if she had chosen such a huge piece of glass simply to ward off stupid guys that don't know right from left before they say anything.

All of this reminded me of this thread.

Thanks, I think!

You do realize that in some western cultures, that the wedding ring is worn on the right hand, while in some other cultures it is worn on the left. The only ones I know for sure are the US and Canada, where the ring is worn on the left hand. In Poland, however, I am almost certain it is worn on the right hand. I toured around Poland a few years ago visiting my brother-in-law in Krakow. I am almost positive this is the case there.

Indeed, there is no consensus. It can be worn both on the left or on the right ring-finger, depending on local traditions.

It is true that the wedding ring is worn on the right hand in Poland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger

Hmmm, I never would have known either.

As someone once said:

“All generalizations are false, including this one.”.
. Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Norman said:
You do realize that in some western cultures, that the wedding ring is worn on the right hand, while in some other cultures it is worn on the left. The only ones I know for sure are the US and Canada, where the ring is worn on the left hand. In Poland, however, I am almost certain it is worn on the right hand. I toured around Poland a few years ago visiting my brother-in-law in Krakow. I am almost positive this is the case there.

Sorry, I only know she was of Polish origin because I asked her where her name came from. She is actually Polish-Canadian. She had no idea that Poland just had an election etc...

The diamond was so big I'm almost certain it would be a fake... looked like about 6 carrots and a couple of radishes.

baywax said:
The diamond was so big I'm almost certain it would be a fake... looked like about 6 carrots and a couple of radishes.
What??

baywax said:
Sorry, I only know she was of Polish origin because I asked her where her name came from. She is actually Polish-Canadian. She had no idea that Poland just had an election etc...

Sounds more like a salad.

Klockan3 said:
What??

Carats... (but this increment only applies to precious stones, not glass)

So I don't know if this kind of camouflage on a woman's person suggests conceit or an actual method to avoid the advances of men.

On one hand the woman considers herself attractive enough to attract unwanted attention... and on the other hand the woman may have experienced such a large number of unsolicited come-ons that she has resorted to dressing the part of a married woman with a very rich husband (re: you can't match the guy I'm hooked up with).

I don't know of any parallel behaviour in men. Usually its the opposite and the man will find some excuse for not wearing his wedding ring. And of course I generalize, for the sake of research.

Last edited:
baywax said:
Carats... (but this increment only applies to precious stones, not glass)

So I don't know if this kind of camouflage on a woman's person suggests conceit or an actual method to avoid the advances of men.
She may just like gaudy jewelry. I personally don't like wearing big rings because they get in the way, same reason I don't wear those gawd awful fake fingernails.

Evo said:
She may just like gaudy jewelry. I personally don't like wearing big rings because they get in the way, same reason I don't wear those gawd awful fake fingernails.

I'm glad because most of that kind of bling creeps me out. There's a realtor from California that has let her nails grow to the point of curling under like some kind of Panda bear claws. Otherwise she's a presentable, professional woman... but the nails are something that repel me to no end. Perhaps that's their purpose?

baywax said:
Otherwise she's a presentable, professional woman... but the nails are something that repel me to no end. Perhaps that's their purpose?
Well...some women get real attached to their nails and watching them grow so long. I saw a woman with one hand of LONG nails and the other short. She worked at the supermarket. I asked her how long she's been growing her nails and she told me 10 years and there's no way she's cutting them. I met a few other people like her.

I'm attached to my hair! Although I have been thinking to cut it lately.

Astronuc said:
Nah - just being a good host and offering a relaxing and restorative libation.

You are too kind :D

Wearing jewelry that would get in the way of anything a person tried to do with their hands, or having fingernails so long they can't actually use their fingers for anything, all display a wealth great enough that the woman doesn't have to do anything. She's so rich she can hire someone to open her can of Bud Light.

And the supermarket girl is only going to fool people as long as she has one hand in her pocket and the other hand...

BobG said:
She's so rich she can hire someone to open her can of Bud Light.

:rofl:

Yeah... but I notice that its all the men speculating about what a woman's motives, limitations and expertise are by what they've done to their nails... etc...

the thing I like about women is that I really don't know what the **** is going on in their heads... being a man makes reading men easier... women... don't think so... the only way to find out is to listen... :redface: