Cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about converting cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates and finding the equation for the resulting semi-plane. The equation for the plane is y = \sqrt{3}x.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. Hi have in cylindrical coordinates that [tex]\theta=\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex], and I must make the graph, and take it into cartesian coordinates. How should I do?

I've tried this way:

[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=r\cos\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3}\\y=r\sin\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3} \\z=z\end{matrix}\Rightarrow{\begin{Bmatrix}x=\displaystyle\frac{r}{2}\\y={r\displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{3}}{2} \\z=z\end{matrix}}[/tex]

I think its a semi-plane parallel to the line: [tex]2\displaystyle\frac{y}{\sqrt[ ]{3}}-2x=0[/tex]. I thought of working geometrically with it, taking another point. Or taking three points, but I think its probably easier someway, just from the equations system. I don't know how to take x and y, to make them a function of z.

Bye there!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for the plane is just [tex] y = \sqrt{3}x. [/tex]

Thanks Raskolnikov, I didn't see it that way, [tex]y = \sqrt{3}x\forall{z}[/tex]

1. What exactly are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe the location of a point in space. They consist of three components: radius, angle, and height, and are often used to describe objects that have a cylindrical shape.

2. How do you convert cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:

x = r * cos(θ)

y = r * sin(θ)

z = h

Where r is the radius, θ is the angle, and h is the height. These equations take into account the relationships between the different components in the two coordinate systems.

3. What is the advantage of using cylindrical coordinates over cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates can often be more convenient to use when dealing with objects that have a cylindrical shape, such as pipes or cylinders. They also allow for a simpler representation of certain mathematical equations, making them useful in physics and engineering applications.

4. Can you convert cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates using the following equations:

r = √(x^2 + y^2)

θ = tan^-1(y/x)

h = z

These equations take into account the relationships between the different components in the two coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using cylindrical coordinates?

One limitation of cylindrical coordinates is that they can only be used to describe points in a 3-dimensional space. They also cannot be used to describe points that lie outside of a cylindrical shape. In these cases, other coordinate systems may be more suitable.