Find strength and direction of electric field

In summary, the problem involves finding the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point due to two charges. Using the equation E=(kq)/r^2, the fields were calculated to be 7.40x10^5 N/C and 3.28x10^5 N/C for the first and second charge, respectively. To find the resultant field, the angles made by these fields with the horizontal were calculated and used to find the horizontal and vertical components, which were then used to find the overall resultant field.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

There is a charge of -4.05mC at (3,0)m and a charge of +3.85mC at (10,0)m. And I have to find the strength and direction of the field at (2.5,7)m. (Direction to be in degrees).

Homework Equations

E=(kq)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the fields to be 7.40x10^5 N/C for the first and 3.28x10^5 N/C for the second on the point.

And I'm stuck from here. I've started figuring out all sorts of angles but I just get swamped. Could someone please nudge me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculations of the fields?

Sure thing, for the first:
(9x109)(4.05x10-3 / 49.25

The 49.25 came from the distance (2.5-3)2+(7-0)2 (the sqrt of this and then squaring again would cancel each other so I didn't bother with it)

So, that ended up being (3.645x107)/49.25 equaling 740,102=7.40x105

For the second:
(9x109)(3.85x10-3)/105.25

The 105.25 coming from (2.5-10)2+(7-0)2) again ignoring the sqrt squared and getting 56.25+49=105.25

And so, (3.465x107)/105.25 = 328,361 = 3.28x105

OK. Now the electric field E1 due to the first charge is towards the charge and the field E2 due to the second charge is away from the charge. To find the resultant we must know the angels made by these fields with horizontal.
For the Ε1, tanθ1 = 7/0.5 and for E2, tanθ2 = 7/7.5. Find θ1 and θ2.

Now take the horizontal and vertical components of E1 and E2 and find the resultant E.

I would approach this problem by first drawing a diagram to visualize the situation. From the given information, I can see that there are two charges, one negative and one positive, located at specific coordinates. The point of interest is located at (2.5,7)m, which is not directly in between the two charges. This means that the electric field at this point will be affected by both charges.

Next, I would use the equation E=(kq)/r^2 to calculate the electric field strength at the point of interest due to each charge. This will give me two separate values, one for the electric field strength due to the negative charge and one for the electric field strength due to the positive charge.

To find the total electric field strength at the point of interest, I would use the principle of superposition. This means that I would add the two electric field strengths together, taking into account their directions. The direction of an electric field is given by the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge placed at that point. Since a positive test charge would be repelled by a negative charge and attracted by a positive charge, I would assign the direction of the electric field due to the negative charge as being away from the charge and the direction of the electric field due to the positive charge as being towards the charge.

Finally, to find the direction of the total electric field, I would use trigonometry to find the angle between the total electric field vector and the x-axis. This angle would be the direction of the electric field in degrees.

In summary, to find the strength and direction of the electric field at (2.5,7)m, you need to calculate the electric field strength at this point due to each individual charge, add them together, and then use trigonometry to find the direction in degrees.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the amount of force experienced by a charged particle per unit charge in an electric field.

3. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force experienced by a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of the particle. The formula for electric field strength is: E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.

4. How does the direction of an electric field affect charged particles?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction in which a charged particle will move. A positively charged particle will move in the direction of the electric field, while a negatively charged particle will move in the opposite direction.

5. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charge creating the field, the distance from the charge, and the electric constant of the medium in which the charged particles are located. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding area.