Solving Differential Equations: the Euler D.E. and Linear D.E.s

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with differential equations, specifically the Euler D.E. and linear D.E. with constant coefficients. The solution for the Euler D.E. involves substituting y=x^r and calculating the two r's, which can result in a double root and a solution with a natural logarithm. The explanation for this solution comes from the fact that every derivative of xe^{kx} is a linear combination of e^{kx} and xe^{kx}, and the substitution of t=ln(x) allows for solving the D.E. with constant coefficients. There are still some questions remaining about the assumptions made in the solutions and the validity of the solution interval.
Funzies
Hello guys, I am new here to the forum and I was wondering if you could help me with some trouble I am having with differential equations. For your information: I am a second year applied physics student from the Netherlands and I loveee everything about physics and mathematics!

The problem concerns the Euler D.E.: x^2*y'' + x*y' + y = f(x). Let's assume for the moment that f(x) = 0, so that the equation is homogenous. I know how to solve it: by substituting y = x^r and calculating the two r's. I also know about the problem af the double root: the solution becomes y(x) = A*x^r1 + B*ln(x)*x^r1.
Well, this last 'solution' concerning the double root was kind of dropped during college: they just told us how to solve it. I am wondering where the ln(x) comes from. I have the same problem with linear D.E.'s with constant coefficients: y'' + y' + y = 0, if you substitute y=exp(kx) you get two k's unless there's a double root and then the solution becomes y(x) = A*exp(k1x) + B*x*exp(k1x). In this case I am wondering where the 'x' comes from. Can someone provide me with a proof for these solutions?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: by proof I do not mean the proof that they ARE solutions. That's easy checkable: I just fill them in in the D.E.'s. I mean where it comes from, to help me understand it better.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of [itex]xe^{kx}[/itex] is [itex]e^{kx}+ kxe^{kx}[/itex] and its second derivative is [itex]2e^{kx}+ k^2xe^{kx}[/itex], etc. In other words, every derivative of [itex]xe^{kx}[/itex] is a linear combination of [itex]e^{kx}[/itex] and [itex]xe^{kx}[/itex]. The fact that k is a root of the characteristic equation means that \(\displaystyle e^{kx}\) satisifies the differential equation. And putting [itex]xe^{kx}[/itex] into the equation, together with the fact that the equation is linear, allows you to factor "x" out: [itex]D(xe^{kx})= xD(e^{kx})= 0[/itex] 0 because [itex]e^{kx}[/itex] satisfies the equation. And, of course, since the equation is linear, any linear combination of solutions is a solution.

You can extend that to Euler-type equations by the observation that substituting t= ln(x) into an Euler-type equation in the variable x changes it into an equation with constant coefficients with variable t.

Thanks for your replay, but I still have some questions remaining:

HallsofIvy said:
And putting [itex]xe^{kx}[/itex] into the equation, together with the fact that the equation is linear, allows you to factor "x" out: [itex]D(xe^{kx})= xD(e^{kx})= 0[/itex] 0 because [itex]e^{kx}[/itex] satisfies the equation. And, of course, since the equation is linear, any linear combination of solutions is a solution.

I do not understand why you can assume: [itex]D(xe^{kx})= xD(e^{kx})= 0[/itex]
Ok, if x*exp(kx) is a solution to the equation, of course x*exp(kx) + exp(kx) is still a solution, but I do not see on what grounds you concluded that x*exp(kx) also satisfies the equation.

HallsofIvy said:
You can extend that to Euler-type equations by the observation that substituting t= ln(x) into an Euler-type equation in the variable x changes it into an equation with constant coefficients with variable t.

You are right, by substituting t=ln(x) I get the equation: y''(t) + y'(t) + y(t), but how does that make me conclude that the solution to the homogenous equation is y(x) = x^(r1) + ln(x)*x^(r1)? Do you just solve the D.E. for the variable t, conclude that there's a double root and then solve y(t) = exp(r1*t) + t*exp(r1*t) and then substitue t = ln(x) back? And what about the solution interval, doesn't that get compremised by substituting and ln, which is not defined for x<0?

1. What is the difference between Euler's differential equation and linear differential equations?

Euler's method is a numerical approach for solving differential equations, whereas linear differential equations are analytical methods that can be solved algebraically.

2. How does Euler's method work to solve differential equations?

Euler's method involves breaking down a differential equation into smaller steps and using the slope at each step to approximate the solution.

3. What are the limitations of using Euler's method to solve differential equations?

Euler's method can provide inaccurate solutions for complex differential equations and may require a large number of steps to reach a precise solution.

4. Can linear differential equations be solved using methods other than analytical methods?

Yes, linear differential equations can also be solved using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are often used to predict future behavior based on known initial conditions and help solve real-world problems.