Balanced Equations for AgNO3 + HCl, Zn + HCl, and C2H5OH + O2 Reactions

• Thread starter dg_5021
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves predicting products and writing balanced equations for different reactions, specifically (a) AgNO3 + HCl, (b) Zn + HCl, and (c) C2H5OH + O2 + heat. The predicted products for (a) and (b) are AgCl + HNO3 and ZnCl2 + H2, respectively. For (c), the products are CO2, H2O, and energy, indicating a combustion reaction. In order to write a balanced equation, the number of each type of atom must be equal on both sides of the equation.
dg_5021
Predict the products and write balanced equations for the following reactions:

(a) AgNO3 + HCl

(b) Zn + HCl

(c) C2H5OH + O2 + heat

For (a) i got AgNO3 + HCl = AgCl + HNO3
For (b) i got Zn + 2HCl = ZnCl2 + H2

Did i do it right? I have no idea how to do part (c)? Also what do they mean to predict the product?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If i remember correctly the chemistry i was taught in my freshman year

C) Will give as products CO2, H2O, and Energy, like any good combustion reaction with organic substances

Last edited:
so for c) would it be: C2H5OH + O2 + heat = CO2 + h20 + heat?

Hello,

All answers are correct, except that in (c) you have to write its balanced equation. If there are two carbons in ethyl alcohol, then two moles of CO2 must be produced, as you know. The balanced form is easy to write, just make all atom numbers equal in both sides.

am still confused so for c) C2H5OH + O2 + heat is it:

4 C2H5OH + 13 O2 + heat = 8CO2 + 10 H2O

I am not sure your query is correct, let's do like this:

[tex]C_2H_5OH + O_2 \rightarrow CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]

Here, you'll put some numbers to balance atom numbers, for example two carbons on the left, then two carbons must be on the right, etc. It is too easy to cause any confusion, don't think very complex. The answer is right there.

1. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it ensures that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the equation. This follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the coefficients in front of each reactant and product to make sure the number of atoms on each side is equal. Start by balancing the elements that appear in only one reactant and one product. Then, balance the elements that appear in more than one reactant or product. Finally, double-check that all elements are balanced and adjust coefficients as needed.

3. What is the balanced equation for AgNO3 + HCl?

The balanced equation for the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) is AgNO3 + HCl → AgCl + HNO3. This equation follows the law of conservation of mass, as there is one silver atom, one nitrogen atom, and three oxygen atoms on both sides of the equation.

4. What is the balanced equation for Zn + HCl?

The balanced equation for the reaction between zinc (Zn) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) is Zn + 2HCl → ZnCl2 + H2. This equation follows the law of conservation of mass, as there is one zinc atom, two hydrogen atoms, and two chlorine atoms on both sides of the equation.

5. What is the balanced equation for C2H5OH + O2?

The balanced equation for the reaction between ethanol (C2H5OH) and oxygen (O2) is C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O. This equation follows the law of conservation of mass, as there are six carbon atoms, 12 hydrogen atoms, and six oxygen atoms on both sides of the equation.