Speed of Sound Lab (using slope to find speed of sound)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the speed of sound using the relationship between frequency and wavelength. The person attempted to use the slope of the data to find the speed of sound, but was unsure of the correct approach. The solution was to plot \lambda vs. 1/f and use the slope of the fit to calculate the speed of sound. The person's teacher suggested differentiating the equation for velocity of sound, but the person was unsure of how to do this correctly.
goman519

Homework Statement

If you had data from a lot of different frequencies, how could you use a slope to find the speed of sound? Explain in detail.

Given/Known: So basically we did a lab where we used 3 different tuning forks and hit them over a tube filled with water. We recorded where we heard each node and calculated what half lambda and lamda were in order to find the speed of sound.

Homework Equations

Speed of Sound = frequency * wavelength (lambda)
or
Speed of Sound = 331 + 0.61(T)
T = temperature in celsius (which was 20.2 in our class room)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried taking the slope of my 3 frequencies (523.2, 1024, 2048 (Hz)) and 3 wavelengths (634.67, 316.00, 152.00 (mm) respectively) in excel. First converted the wavelengths to meters. The slope I got was -2.91. Couldn't figure out any correlation and frankly don't think that's the way to approach the problem.

Solution or any kind of tip very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expected relationship between the frequency and wavelength is one of inverse proportion

[tex] \lambda = \frac{v_s}{f}. [/tex]

The speed of sound [tex]v_s[/tex] could be computed from the slope of a fit to the data where you plot [tex]\lambda[/tex] vs. [tex]1/f[/tex], instead of [tex]\lambda[/tex] vs. [tex]f[/tex].

fzero said:
The expected relationship between the frequency and wavelength is one of inverse proportion

[tex] \lambda = \frac{v_s}{f}. [/tex]

The speed of sound [tex]v_s[/tex] could be computed from the slope of a fit to the data where you plot [tex]\lambda[/tex] vs. [tex]1/f[/tex], instead of [tex]\lambda[/tex] vs. [tex]f[/tex].

Ok cool. I see how that works and when I got the slope I had a very small percent error so thanks.

Only thing is, my teacher emailed me about the question and told me to differentiate the equation for velocity of sound. To look at dy/dx. I'm not really sure how to do that correctly.

Wouldn't differentiating V=lambda F give you 1 = lambda + F ? Any idea what she wants me to do?

1. What materials are needed for a speed of sound lab?

The materials needed for a speed of sound lab using slope to find the speed of sound are: a long tube, a tuning fork, a ruler, a stopwatch, and a calculator.

2. How do you set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, first place the tuning fork at the bottom of the tube. Then, fill the tube with water until the water level is just above the prongs of the tuning fork. Place the ruler next to the tube to measure the length of the air column.

3. How do you calculate the speed of sound using the slope?

To calculate the speed of sound using the slope, first measure the length of the air column in the tube. Then, strike the tuning fork and start the stopwatch. When you hear the sound, stop the stopwatch and record the time. Use the formula speed = distance / time to calculate the speed of sound.

4. Why is slope used to find the speed of sound?

Slope is used to find the speed of sound because it represents the rate at which the distance changes with respect to time. In this experiment, the distance is the length of the air column and the time is the duration of the sound wave. By finding the slope of the graph, we can determine the speed of sound.

5. How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

Temperature affects the speed of sound because sound travels faster in warmer air. This is because warmer air molecules have higher kinetic energy, causing them to vibrate more quickly and pass on the sound energy more efficiently. As a result, the speed of sound increases as the temperature increases.