How many of you are prescribed to Adderall?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Vinegar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Adderall for individuals diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and their ability to function in school without it. Some individuals have found that their difficulties in school were actually caused by the pace of the classes being too slow, rather than a disorder. Others have had positive experiences with the medication, citing increased productivity and improved sleep patterns. However, there are also concerns about the long-term effects of amphetamines on the body and the potential for overdiagnosis of ADD/ADHD.
Vinegar
How many of you are prescribed to Adderall? If so, would you feel as capable of doing well in your classes? Be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Well if someone is prescribed Adderall, then supposedly that person should have ADD/ADHD in which case I'm certain the answer would be a resounding "No I can't function in school without it."

That's analogous to asking the asthmatic if he can still perform physical tasks without taking his medication.

Now if you're just talking about regular, healthy people its a different story altogether.

I was "diagnosed" with ADD as a child and prescribed Ritalin. I absolutely hated the way I felt when taking it. I wasn't able to get past the vast difference I felt in who I was to worry about doing "better" in school. I was much more relieved to quit taking it, rather than care about whether I could pay attention in public school.

My "issues" turned out to be much more related to the pace of the classes being too slow, which simply caused disinterest. I took medication for a few years in fifth grade through parts of 6th and 7th. Since then I have done fine. The more advanced the classes, the more interesting I found them and better I did in them.

As far as grades were concerned, I would have to find the records. As far as testing was concerned, I took the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Achievement_Test_Series" (not the high school SAT) every year of elementary and consistantly scored in the top 1-2% nationally both before and after starting the medication.

My experience at the time was that ADD seemed to be overdiagnosed. I'm 27 now and out of the loop so have no current comment about that now. Obviously I have no direct comment on Adderall, but I think what I said is pertinent.

I'll give some input, I'm in my late 30's and have just recently i.e. the last 2yrs been taking Adderall.

I would like to find a way that I don't have to take it, however let say that without it it's a stark contrast between off/on. what finally prompted me to go to a psychiatrist was my frustration at not being able to focus long enough to finish something or being so hyper focused that I forgo sleep and food while I was 'locked' a task. I slept on average 4hrs a night and could easily go 4days with no sleep. I've never fit into the traditional work environment so being self employed is a HUGE advantage.

The effects of adderall for me allow me to filter the constant stream of data and actually block or ignore most of it. from my perspective it puts on a similar plane to the rest of the world. I have been able to increase my efficiency of productivity. I can actually sleep 6~8hrs a night. my sense of time perception is also heightened in that it feels much slower.

This also the down side, it's like a fog in that my mind is so used to such a cacophony of information input and the constant data filing that to have it suppressed is very much like having a sense numbed. I do find that it's a bit more mental work to make a connection that some may find obtuse but does have useful relevance that is easier not on adderall. creative imagination and inventive ideas are numbed a bit as well too.

I did a fair amount of research on the effects of amphetamines on the brain and body. it does effectively speed up the CNS and this inturn increases the rate at which you uptake serotonin. I found that increasing my vitamin intake along with adding in l-tryptophan has helped with the run-down you get after a few weeks. it takes its toll on your body and that needs to be monitored. there is a lot more to it than that but I'm keeping it simple. I did a full cardio workup with stress testing to get a baseline and then do rechecks biannually to keep an eye on things.

I can post more if interested.

S_Happens said:
I was "diagnosed" with ADD as a child and prescribed Ritalin. I absolutely hated the way I felt when taking it. I wasn't able to get past the vast difference I felt in who I was to worry about doing "better" in school. I was much more relieved to quit taking it, rather than care about whether I could pay attention in public school.

My "issues" turned out to be much more related to the pace of the classes being too slow, which simply caused disinterest. I took medication for a few years in fifth grade through parts of 6th and 7th. Since then I have done fine. The more advanced the classes, the more interesting I found them and better I did in them.

As far as grades were concerned, I would have to find the records. As far as testing was concerned, I took the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Achievement_Test_Series" (not the high school SAT) every year of elementary and consistantly scored in the top 1-2% nationally both before and after starting the medication.

My experience at the time was that ADD seemed to be overdiagnosed. I'm 27 now and out of the loop so have no current comment about that now. Obviously I have no direct comment on Adderall, but I think what I said is pertinent.

sounds about right, I was horribly bored in school and found it to drag painfully slow when subjected to avg pace of education. I never did a lick of homework and by the end of elementary school they were looking to retain me, however the concern was that all the tests in class had me setting the curve. I was subjected to rounds of psychology sessions where me Mr.smartass pulled some stupid stunts, I ended up having to take aptitude tests and was subsequently pushed onto junior high.

rinse repeat thru high school. I was told more than once that I was too smart for my own good and would most likely end up in prison if I didn't put my gift to good use. I was offered college courses at 10 however my parents did not believe in higher education. two edged sword there, yrs later I enrolled on my own and found college to be just a disappointing and slow. education today is in my opinion geared to maintenance than insight.

my only enjoyment of public school was setting the bell curve and stressing the ever achieving students who would freak over the possible loss of grade points. some of the parents petitioned the teachers to change the use of the curve due to it not being fair, imagine the future. well look around today it's my generation in charge and well...

Aderrall has really helped me stay alert and concentrate, as I have chronic pain issues which leave me sleepy and unfocused. I have the energy to enjoy life again. I do have difficulty sleeping, and also since I do not take XR can "crush" it if I forget my second dose. I have noticed it makes me most irritable and difficult to be around. This side effect seems to have waned over time, but I am still occasionally cranky when it wears off.

I'm prescribed dexedrine. Of course I feel I'm as capable of doing as well as my classmates. It has its side effects which are often counterproductive but it also has its benefits, one being the fact it enables me to concentrate on a single task and get it done. In fact, I can spend 8 hours straight doing what would ordinarily be a relatively boring task such as writing a lab report and have fun doing it. I can spend 18 hours straight learning science related material and end up with a profound understanding of concepts I'll need to know for college. I don't just learn what I need to know to pass tests, I learn everything I need to know to "truly" understand the concepts so as a result, I believe I have a far deeper understanding of the concepts than my classmates. Thats not just a belief, this has been put to the test many times. I cannot function without it though. Before being diagnosed with ADHD, I spent a whole summer struggling to learn things with that horrible restless ADHD mindset. I instinctively sought stimulants but caffeine was the only one I had access and it only worked for 2 hours then stopped working for the rest of the day. At one point I was drinking 2L jugs of tea desperately trying to regain the calm, focused mindset that the first cup of the day gives me. Had the same problem with coffee. It was horrible. I feel truly blessed now that I can read and study like everyone else. Before then I wouldn't have been able to read the replies to this thread, let alone a book or even lengthy article.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD a few years back and have been taking Adderall since. Before I started taking it the best way to describe myself was that I was a living zombie. Barely able to function, couldn't remember anything, etc. I'd wake up every day and feel like crying in bed because I felt so bad. Head hurt, I was tired no matter how much or little I slept, etc. Since taking the medication I feel like I "woke up" and am MUCH better now.

1. How many people are prescribed Adderall in the United States?

According to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 4.4% of adults in the United States are prescribed Adderall for ADHD or other conditions.

2. What percentage of college students are prescribed Adderall?

A study published in the Journal of American College Health found that approximately 17% of college students reported using Adderall without a prescription. However, it is unclear how many of these students were also prescribed Adderall.

3. How many children are prescribed Adderall?

According to the CDC, approximately 9% of children aged 2-17 have been diagnosed with ADHD and may be prescribed Adderall as a treatment. However, the number of children actually prescribed Adderall may be lower due to alternative treatments or not seeking treatment at all.

4. How many people abuse Adderall?

According to a study by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, approximately 1.7 million people aged 12 and older reported misusing Adderall in the past year. This includes both those who were prescribed Adderall and those who obtained it illegally.

5. What are the potential side effects of Adderall?

Common side effects of Adderall include difficulty sleeping, loss of appetite, and irritability. In rare cases, more serious side effects such as increased blood pressure, heart problems, and mental health issues may occur. It is important to closely monitor the effects of Adderall and consult with a doctor if any concerning symptoms arise.