Ploting zero order Bessel function

In summary, the teacher asked the narrator how to plot the zero order Bessel function. The narrator explained that using the integral expression for J_{0}(r), one can calculate the first order derivative with respect to r. Evaluating the derivative in r=0 yields 0. For the second derivative, one can calculate the derivative with respect to r^2. The derivative evaluated in r=0 is equal to -1/2. The idea is to construct the taylor series around r=0 and take the first two terms to get an approximation for the first zero. This procedure will only converge up to about 10 on the real axis with 10 significant digits. However, for arguments larger than 10, Hankel's Simiconvergent
ReyChiquito
Hello guys, i had a little chat with a teacher of mine and he asked me how can someone plot the zero order Bessel function. Here is what I've done..

using the integral expresion for [tex]J_{0}(r)[/tex]
[tex]J_{0}(r)=\frac {1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi \cos(r\cos\theta)d\theta[/tex]
i can calculate the first order derivative with respect to r
[tex]\frac {\partial}{\partial r}J_{0}(r)=-\frac {1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi \sin(r\cos\theta)\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]
wich when evaluated in r=0 is 0. For the second derivative
[tex]\frac {\partial^2}{\partial r^2}J_{0}(r)=-\frac {1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi \cos(r\cos\theta)\cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex]
wich evaluated in r=0 is equal to -1/2.
The idea is to construct the taylor series around r=0. And given the fact that
[tex]|J^{(n)}(r)|\leq\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]
i can easily bound the error, ie, if i only take two terms of the series
[tex]J_{0}(r)=1-\frac{r^2}{4}+E(r^4)[/tex]
where
[tex]|E(r)|\leq \frac{r^4}{4!\pi}[/tex]
so, if, for instance, i want to know where is the first zero of the function, given the first approximation, i can say that is on 2 with an error of 0.21...
given the next term
[tex]J_{0}(r)=1-\frac{r^2}{4}+\frac{r^4}{64}-E(r^6)[/tex]
where
[tex]|E(r)|\leq \frac{r^6}{6!\pi}[/tex]
tells me that the zero is in 2^(3/2) with an error of 0.23
and so on...

do you guys think this is a correct procedure?

is there any other way i can construct the plot?

i really want to impress my teacher, so any help would be well received.

Thx.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about creating a table of Bessel functions?

Looks good, you have derived the small series representation for Jo :

[itex]
\mbox{\Huge \[
J_\nu (z) = \left( {\frac{z}{2}} \right)^\nu \sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - z^2 /4} \right)^k }}{{k!\Gamma (\nu + k + 1)}}}
\]}
[/itex]

Unfortunately, this will only converge up to about 10 on the real axis with 10 signifigant digit calculator. For arguments larger an asymptotic form must be used : Hankel's Simiconvergent Asymptotic Expansion is probably the best.

Best

Heh... i know that. That was exactly the point my teacher wanted to make.

He said to me: "ok, you know how it behaves for small values of r and for large values, but what hapens with regular values of r? how can you see the graph of the function?"

But yeah, i think ill need more terms to get a nice aproximation of the first zero *at least*.

Do u guys know any other method that i might consider?

Thx for the help :)

1. What is a zero order Bessel function?

A zero order Bessel function, denoted by J0, is a special mathematical function that is used to describe the behavior of waves and vibrations. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

2. How is a zero order Bessel function plotted?

To plot a zero order Bessel function, you can use a graphing calculator or a computer program such as MATLAB or Python. The function can also be plotted manually by using a table of values and plotting them on a graph.

3. What is the range of a zero order Bessel function?

The range of a zero order Bessel function is from 0 to infinity. This means that the function can take on any value between 0 and infinity, but it approaches 0 as the input value gets larger.

4. What are the applications of zero order Bessel functions?

Zero order Bessel functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to describe the behavior of waves and vibrations in various systems, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and fluid dynamics.

5. How do zero order Bessel functions differ from other Bessel functions?

Zero order Bessel functions are a special case of Bessel functions, where the order (or degree) of the function is 0. Other Bessel functions have different orders and can be used to describe different types of waves and vibrations. Additionally, zero order Bessel functions have a simpler form and are easier to calculate compared to higher order Bessel functions.