Machine Design Help - Calculate Load & Shaft Size

In summary, the conversation is about a machine that is designed to classify products into various sizes using a cylindrical sieve and a rotating shaft with paddles. The question at hand is whether the shaft can handle the load and how to calculate this load, taking into consideration the density of the product. The speaker is also open to providing more information and mentions that a picture or diagram would be helpful.
rhawkbw
I have a machine I want to build, the principle works on the basis that products enter a cylindrical sieve 900mm long, 2mm thick and 400mm dia, in the center is a shaft of 50mm dia, 1600mm long with 900 rpm. The shaft has paddles at a angle of 45deg to act as a conveyor by agitating the product against the sieve is intend to classify the product into various sizes. Each paddle is 120mm long and 60mm wide. What I would like to know is whether the shaft can handle the load, and how to actually calculate this load so as to determine correct shaft size to use as well as motor requirements. How would density affect this, the product has a density of 800kg/m3

If more info is required I can provide, please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
A picture/diagram would help

1. What is machine design and why is it important?

Machine design is the process of creating and developing mechanical systems, such as machines or equipment, to perform specific tasks. It involves considering factors such as performance, durability, safety, and cost in order to design a functional and efficient machine. It is important because it ensures that the machine will function properly and reliably, while also considering the safety and well-being of those who will operate it.

2. How do I calculate the load on a machine?

The load on a machine refers to the forces and stresses that the machine will encounter during operation. To calculate this, you will need to determine the weight and dimensions of the materials being processed or moved by the machine, as well as any external forces such as wind or gravity. You can then use equations and calculations specific to the type of machine and its intended use to determine the load.

3. What is the significance of shaft size in machine design?

The shaft of a machine is responsible for transmitting power and motion from one component to another. The size of the shaft is important because it must be strong enough to withstand the load and forces placed upon it without breaking or buckling. The size of the shaft is determined by considering factors such as the amount of power being transmitted and the speed of rotation.

4. How do I choose the appropriate material for a machine design?

The material used in a machine design depends on the specific requirements and functions of the machine. Factors such as strength, durability, and corrosion resistance must be considered. It is important to choose a material that can withstand the expected load and conditions, while also being cost-effective. Consulting with a materials expert or using material selection software can help in making the best choice.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in machine design?

Some common mistakes to avoid in machine design include underestimating the load and forces that the machine will encounter, using incorrect or incompatible materials, and not considering safety features and regulations. It is important to thoroughly analyze and test the design before implementation to identify any potential issues. Additionally, involving a team of experts, including engineers and technicians, can help to avoid costly mistakes and ensure a successful design.