Building a Quadcopter from Scratch - Tips & Resources

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's plan to build a quadcopter from scratch and their desire to build all electronic components themselves, including a wireless FM transmitter and receiver. They express difficulty in finding a good source detailing the requirements for this task and ask for suggestions. One respondent recommends using a spectrum analyzer and inquires about the allowed power level for the RC frequencies. Another offers suggestions for building a 2.4 GHz FM transmitter and receiver using ICs and modules from various manufacturers, and suggests the Jennic 5139 and its development kit as an option.
digitalblggr
I am planning to build a quadcopter from the scratch. I tried to do some research online, and am not happy with what I found. Everyone used Aurdino boards, and just connected the parts together. eg. http://aeroquad.com/

I want to build all electronic components myself like wireless FM tranmitter and receiver, but I cannot find a good enough source detailing all the requirements.

Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
digitalblggr said:
I am planning to build a quadcopter from the scratch. I tried to do some research online, and am not happy with what I found. Everyone used Aurdino boards, and just connected the parts together. eg. http://aeroquad.com/

I want to build all electronic components myself like wireless FM tranmitter and receiver, but I cannot find a good enough source detailing all the requirements.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a fun project. Do you have access to a spectrum analyzer that covers the frequency band that you want to use for the remote control? Are you going to use the traditional RC frequencies? I'm not sure offhand -- what is the allowed power level to the antenna for the RC frequencies?

I want to build a 2.4 GHz FM transmitter and receiver. ( One of the allowed bands by FCC). I still haven't zeroed on the transmitter/receiver design though. Any suggestions?

digitalblggr said:
I want to build a 2.4 GHz FM transmitter and receiver. ( One of the allowed bands by FCC). I still haven't zeroed on the transmitter/receiver design though. Any suggestions?

That ISM band is one of the easier ones to build to. As long as there are no microwave ovens or WiFi routers/laptops nearby, it's a pretty open band.

Several manufacturers make ICs for the ISM band. I think TI, Analog Devices, and Cypress offer ICs and modules. You could google 2.4GHz transceiver modules, to see what manufacturers make them. You would typically interface to the transceiver modules over SPI or similar serial interface, from your uC.

Try the Jennic 5139.

You program it in C and the software is free.

You want to get the development kit and that's a few hundred dollars though.

1. What materials do I need to build a quadcopter from scratch?

To build a quadcopter from scratch, you will need a frame, motors, propellers, electronic speed controllers, flight controller, battery, transmitter and receiver, and other necessary tools such as soldering iron and screwdrivers.

2. Is it difficult to build a quadcopter from scratch?

Building a quadcopter from scratch can be challenging, especially if you do not have prior experience with electronics and soldering. However, with proper research and following instructions, it is feasible for most individuals to build a basic quadcopter.

3. How much does it cost to build a quadcopter from scratch?

The cost of building a quadcopter from scratch can vary depending on the quality of materials and components you choose. On average, it can cost anywhere between $200 to $1000. It is essential to research and compare prices before purchasing to stay within your budget.

4. Do I need programming skills to build a quadcopter from scratch?

While basic programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not a requirement to build a quadcopter from scratch. Most flight controllers come with pre-installed software, and there are plenty of resources available online to help with programming if needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while building a quadcopter from scratch?

Yes, it is essential to take safety precautions while building a quadcopter from scratch. This includes wearing protective gear such as safety glasses and gloves, working in a well-ventilated area, and following instructions carefully to avoid accidents. It is also crucial to test the quadcopter in an open and safe space to avoid potential injury or damage.