Does Bouncing a Baseball Help It Travel Faster?

• Thread starter quality101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary: I have the equation for the displacement but I can't seem to get it to work. In summary, the problem is that the baseball does not take the hop and the displacement equation does not work.
quality101
I'm working on projectile motion problem and it is a two-fold problem about throwing a baseball from outfield to home plate. The theory is that the ball arrives faster if thrown on a bounce. "Suppose that after the bounce the ball rebounds at the same angle theta as it had when initially released but it loses half its speed. (a) Assuming the ball is always thrown with the same initail speed, at what angle theta should the ball be thrown in order to go the same distance D with one bounce as one thrown upward at 45.0 deg. with no bounce?

I have solved the no bounce time and distance using the arbitrarily chosen value of 50 m/s as an initial velocity with the notion that I would use this same initial velocity to solve for the "bounce" problem. Using this velocity I have found that the total TOF = 7.22s and the ball travels a distance "D" of 255.30 m. So far so good.

Setting up for the "bounce" problem I am dividing the total distance "D" into two sections D-1 with an initial velocity of 50 m/s and D-2 with an initial velocity of 25 m/s. I know that I have to add D-1 and D-2 to = "D" or 255.30 meters. What I don't know is how to develop an equation to solve for either time or for the angle theta without having any further data to work with.

I'm coming up with some really odd numbers for D-1 and D-2 TOF. For instance for D-1 I am getting 10.204(sin theta) = TOF and 5.102(sin theta) for D-2 and that doesn't seem to get me where I need to be if I don't know or can't solve for theta.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well D-1 = 50*t right? Isn't D-2 just 25*(7.22-t) if t is the time of bounce? I mean I may be oversimplifying the problem but the time it takes the ball to decelerate to 25m/s probably is pretty short considering the bounce is short. The x component of the velocity should be pretty consistent along those distance intervals.

Please Help!

I am still having difficulty with a physics problem. The course is trig based. I can't seem to set up the problem with the baseball taking the hop.

What is the concept of "Too Many Unknown Variables"?

"Too Many Unknown Variables" is a phrase used to describe a situation where there are a large number of factors or variables that can affect an outcome, but the specific details or values of those variables are not fully known or understood.

Why is "Too Many Unknown Variables" a problem in scientific research?

This can be a problem because it makes it difficult to accurately predict or explain outcomes, as there may be multiple factors at play that are not fully accounted for. It can also make it challenging to design experiments or studies that control for all relevant variables.

How do scientists try to address the issue of "Too Many Unknown Variables"?

Scientists may use statistical analysis or modeling techniques to account for unknown variables and minimize their impact on the results. They may also conduct additional research or experiments to try and identify and understand these unknown variables.

What are the potential consequences of ignoring "Too Many Unknown Variables" in scientific research?

If unknown variables are ignored, the results of a study may be inaccurate or misleading. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the advancement of scientific knowledge in a particular field.

Can "Too Many Unknown Variables" ever be completely eliminated in scientific research?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate all unknown variables in scientific research. However, scientists can work to minimize their impact and continue to identify and understand these variables through ongoing research and experimentation.