Definition of Heisenberg Hamiltonian

In summary, the Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a mathematical model that describes the total kinetic and potential energy of a quantum system.
Petar Mali
I have a question. What is the definition of Heisenberg hamiltonian?

[tex]\hat{H}=-\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}\hat{\bfs{S}}_i\cdot \hat{\bfs{S}}_j[/tex]

or

[tex]\hat{H}=-2\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}\hat{\bfs{S}}_i\cdot \hat{\bfs{S}}_j[/tex]

or

[tex]\hat{H}=\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}\hat{\bfs{S}}_i\cdot \hat{\bfs{S}}_j[/tex]

or

[tex]\hat{H}=2\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}\hat{\bfs{S}}_i\cdot \hat{\bfs{S}}_j[/tex]

You have all variation in different sources.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that I have the whole answer, but I believe that it has to do with matrix mechanics which Heisenberg used to describe quantum theory. I think that it means that the rows and columns of the matrix have been inverted, and that the complex conjugate has been taken. I believe that this is known as the hamiltonian process in matrix math.

@Forestman, I really don't think so!

@Petar Mail, all of them are Heisenberg Hamiltonians and the factors in front [tex]\pm 2[/tex] are just a matter of convention. But the sign can origin from the fact that the coupling constant can be positive or negative, depending on you have a anti-ferromagnetic or ferromagnetic system. The sign can be included in order to keep [tex]J_{ij}[/tex] positive.

The factor of 2 (sometimes [tex]\frac 12[/tex], depending on convention) can origin from the fact that some people sum over each pair of sites [tex](ij)[/tex] once, while others prefer to sum over all sites individually. The last option over counts and a factor of 2 (or [tex]\frac 12[/tex], depending on which side you want to put it in) must be included.

In the end, you could put in any factor which is convinient, you just have to redefine [tex]J_{ij}[/tex] afterwards.

Oh okay, thanks for correcting me.

I am new to the math of quantum physics. I am currently in the process of teaching myself calculus.

If anyone could tell me in completely verbal terms I would like to know more about what the Heisenberg hamiltonian really means.

Most of you probably already know this, but I post this for those who do not. Since I did not understand the Hamiltonian concept I looked it up for myself, and it just means the total kinetic and potential energy of a quantum system.

Forestman, the Heisenberg Hamiltonian is an effective model for interacting (three-dimensional) spins on a lattice.

The Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics forum is a forum for people with specific questions about solid state physics and related topics. If you have questions about basic quantum or classical physics (like what a Hamiltonian is) I would direct you to the classical physics and quantum physics forums.

Thank you for answering that for me kanato.

I will make sure to use the other forums next time.

1. What is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used to describe the total energy of a system of interacting particles in quantum mechanics. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of all particles in the system.

2. Who is Heisenberg and why is the Hamiltonian named after him?

Werner Heisenberg was a German physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. He developed the mathematical framework for the Heisenberg Hamiltonian, which is named after him in recognition of his work.

3. How is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian different from the Schrödinger Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a time-independent operator, meaning it does not take into account the change in energy over time. The Schrödinger Hamiltonian, on the other hand, is a time-dependent operator that takes into account the change in energy over time.

4. What is the significance of the Heisenberg Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a fundamental tool used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to make predictions about the energy states and dynamics of systems of interacting particles.

5. How is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian used in real-world applications?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is used in a variety of applications, such as the study of materials and their properties, quantum computing, and the development of new technologies. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in nuclear and particle physics.