Composite Materials: Determining If a Composite is Possible

In summary, it is important to have all the data needed to calculate if a composite is possible, and to make sure the sizing (coating) of the fiber is compatible with the matrix.
mikekyrou
Hi, I am trying to understand some more on composite materials and i have a question. Let's say i have two materials and i want to produce a composite from those materials. How can i check if a composite is possible from these materials? I have found an equation on the web but i am newbie on these stuff and is difficult to understand them. I also found that to determine how a composite is possible i have to find some data such as the elast. modulus, and spec. gravty. I believe those numbers can be found for any material so let's say that i have two materials with all the data known. How to check if my composite will work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone? Too many members and no one knows what information is needed and how to calculate if a composite is possible? I have the specific gravity and elastic modulus of those materials. Do i need more information?
Thank you

mikekyrou said:
Hi, I am trying to understand some more on composite materials and i have a question. Let's say i have two materials and i want to produce a composite from those materials. How can i check if a composite is possible from these materials? I have found an equation on the web but i am newbie on these stuff and is difficult to understand them. I also found that to determine how a composite is possible i have to find some data such as the elast. modulus, and spec. gravty. I believe those numbers can be found for any material so let's say that i have two materials with all the data known. How to check if my composite will work?

Try making it.

One thing to consider beforehand is if the sizing (coating) of your fiber is compatible with your matrix. If the chemistry doesn't work you're going to have an issue with resin penetration and bonding.

You can look at mechanical properties and use laminate theory to try and determine what your end-properties will be. Other practical considerations are how quickly the matrix cures, what conditions are needed to initiate the reaction and also promote full cross-linking.

Good luck.

1. What are composite materials?

Composite materials are materials made up of two or more constituent materials with different physical and chemical properties. These materials are combined to create a new material with unique properties that cannot be achieved by any individual material alone.

2. How are composite materials made?

Composite materials are typically made through processes such as molding, casting, or layering. The constituent materials are combined in a specific ratio and then subjected to heat, pressure, or chemical reactions to create a cohesive and strong material.

3. What are the advantages of using composite materials?

Composite materials offer a wide range of advantages, including high strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance, and customizable properties. They can also be designed to be lightweight, durable, and have superior mechanical properties compared to traditional materials.

4. How do you determine if a composite material is possible?

The feasibility of a composite material depends on various factors, including the properties and compatibility of the constituent materials, the manufacturing process, and the intended use of the final product. Extensive research, testing, and analysis are typically required to determine if a composite material is possible.

5. What are the common applications of composite materials?

Composite materials have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and sports. They are commonly used in the production of aircraft, cars, boats, wind turbines, and sporting equipment due to their lightweight, strong, and durable nature.