Future of the Universe: What Happens After 10^(trillion) Years?

• Thread starter Jonnyb42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential events that may occur 10^1,000,000,000,000 years from now, assuming the proton does not decay. This includes the eventual merging of all matter in the observable universe into a single super-massive black hole, which will eventually evaporate and leave every fundamental particle alone in its own observable universe. There is also mention of the possibility of some neutron stars and black dwarfs remaining, but they may also eventually transition into black holes. The conversation also briefly touches on the double exponential notation used to represent this time period and the concept of impermanence in the universe.
Jonnyb42
What will be happening 10^(trillion) years from now?

Sorry if this is posted in a wrong section.

Space news on Phys.org
Are there people who study the history and future of the universe... and are those people called cosmologists?

Yes and yes. :)

It's known that these particles wont' ever merge again?

Are asking specifically about 10^1,000,000,000,000 years from now or are you asking about the end state configuration of the universe? I'll assume the later...

Everything that is not gravitationally bound together will move apart until our local super-group of galaxies is alone in the observable universe. As the stuff in our local super-group continues to orbit around the orbits will gradually decay until all the mater in the observable universe is contained in a single super-massive black hole.

This black hole will radiate. Most of the particles produced will eventually fall back in but some will have enough velocity to get far enough away that cosmic expansion takes over and removes them from the observable universe, this continues until the black hole has completely evaporated.

The end state is that every fundamental particle in existence is alone in it's observable universe.

At least that's my understanding.

Interesting, I was though asking specifically 10^1,000,000,000,000 years from now.

Jonnyb42 said:
Interesting, I was though asking specifically 10^1,000,000,000,000 years from now.

If the proton does not decay, there may still be some neutron stars and black dwarfs left in the universe at that time. In about 10^10^76 years though, they may quantum tunnel into black holes which would eventually evaporate, leaving a similar end state to that there would be if the proton did decay (every fundamental particle in existence being alone in it's observable universe). It would just take longer for the universe to get there than if the proton did decay.

Jonnyb42 said:

A strange time period to single out. Any reason why?

Double exponential notation means you can write that as 10^10^12 which is a bit easier to do.

Quite incredible to realize that nothing, not even the entire universe lasts for ever. A Concidental reminder as today I start my 5th decade..

congratulations!

Thanks Jonny, I hope I get to celebrate many more!

1. What will the Earth be like in 10 trillion years?

In 10 trillion years, it is highly likely that the Earth will no longer exist in its current form. The sun is expected to expand into a red giant and ultimately engulf the Earth, making it uninhabitable. Additionally, the Earth's orbit is likely to change due to gravitational interactions with other planets and objects in the solar system.

2. Will humans still exist in 10 trillion years?

It is impossible to say for certain, but it is highly unlikely that humans will still exist in 10 trillion years. The Earth's changing environment and the inevitable extinction of the sun would make it extremely difficult for human life to survive for that length of time. However, humans may have evolved into a different species or may have colonized other planets by then.

3. What will happen to the universe in 10 trillion years?

The universe will continue to expand and evolve in 10 trillion years, but it is difficult to predict exactly what will happen. Some theories suggest that the expansion of the universe may eventually slow down or reverse, leading to a "big crunch" where all matter collapses back into a singularity. Other theories propose that the universe will continue to expand forever, eventually leading to a "heat death" where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.

4. How will technology and science progress in 10 trillion years?

It is impossible to predict how technology and science will progress in 10 trillion years. However, it is likely that any technology and knowledge we have now will be incomprehensible or obsolete by then. As the universe continues to change and evolve, so will our understanding of it and our ability to manipulate it.

5. Is there a limit to how far into the future we can predict?

Yes, there are limits to how far into the future we can predict. While we can make educated guesses and hypotheses based on current knowledge and trends, the complexity and unpredictability of the universe means that our predictions become less and less accurate the farther into the future we go. Additionally, as we approach the heat death of the universe, it becomes increasingly difficult to make accurate predictions about the state of the universe.