Potential Energy of Elastic Band

In summary, at time t=0-, the elastic potential energy stored in the elastic band is 0.5mv^2 - mgh. When it hits the floor at time t=0+ it has a horizontal displacement of 3.7m and has converted 4.32m/s of potential energy into kinetic energy.
ppkjref
Elastic Potential Energy of Elastic Band*

Homework Statement

A stretched elastic band of mass 0.55 g is released so that its initial velocity is horizontal, and its initial position is 95 cm above the floor. What was the elastic potential energy stored in the stretched band if, when it lands, it has a horizontal displacement of 3.7 m from the initial position under negligible air resistance?

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
Ee = Ek - Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
0 = vi^2 + 2ad
2(9.8)(0.95) = vi^2
4.32 m/s = vi

Ee = Ek - Eg
Ee = 0.5mv^2 - mgh
Ee = (0.5)(0.55)(4.32)^2 – (0.55)(9.8)(3.7)
Ee =
I get a negative number?

Physics news on Phys.org
ppkjref said:
Elastic Potential Energy of Elastic Band*

Homework Statement

A stretched elastic band of mass 0.55 g is released so that its initial velocity is horizontal, and its initial position is 95 cm above the floor. What was the elastic potential energy stored in the stretched band if, when it lands, it has a horizontal displacement of 3.7 m from the initial position under negligible air resistance?

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
Ee = Ek - Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
0 = vi^2 + 2ad
2(9.8)(0.95) = vi^2
4.32 m/s = vi

Ee = Ek - Eg
Ee = 0.5mv^2 - mgh
Ee = (0.5)(0.55)(4.32)^2 – (0.55)(9.8)(3.7)
Ee =
I get a negative number?

I don't think you can set vf = 0. It could have been still moving horizontally when it hit the floor.

Instead, relate the initial KE stored to the initial horizontal velocity as one equation. Then relate the time of flight to the distance traveled and the horizontal velocity (which won't change over time). And how long does it take something to drop vertically from that height...?

I'm not sure what you mean. Initially wouldn't there only be elastic potential stored? KE is 1/2mv^2 and the horizontal velocity is d/t? I don't know what time is

ppkjref said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Initially wouldn't there only be elastic potential stored? KE is 1/2mv^2 and the horizontal velocity is d/t? I don't know what time is

Yes, initially at time t=0-, all energy is stored as PE. But as the band is snapped and starts flying at t=0+, all that PE was converted into KE of horizontal motion. The horizontal velocity remains constant (ignoring air resistance), and the vertical motion follows the usual kinematic equations of motion for constant acceleration (gravity).

The "time" is the time between release and hitting the floor. Try writing the equations out that I alluded to in my previous post, and see where they lead you. I'll try to check back in a few hours...

Last edited:
Ok I got 0.019 J as my final answer. Thanks for the help

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy that an object has due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy related to elastic bands?

Elastic bands, also known as rubber bands, can store potential energy when stretched or compressed. This is because the elastic band is deformed from its original shape, and the energy used to deform it is stored as potential energy.

What factors affect the potential energy of an elastic band?

The potential energy of an elastic band is affected by the amount of stretch or compression, the elasticity of the material, and the force applied to it. The more stretched or compressed the band is, the more potential energy it has. A more elastic band will also have a higher potential energy than a less elastic one when stretched by the same amount. Lastly, the more force applied to the band, the more potential energy it will have.

How is the potential energy of an elastic band calculated?

The potential energy of an elastic band can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant (a measure of the material's elasticity), and x is the amount of stretch or compression in meters. The potential energy is measured in joules (J).

What are some real-life examples of potential energy of elastic bands?

Elastic bands are commonly used in everyday life, such as in slingshots, rubber band guns, and even as hair ties. In these examples, the potential energy of the elastic band is converted into kinetic energy when released, causing the object to move. Another example is a rubber band-powered airplane, where the potential energy of the stretched elastic band is converted into mechanical energy to power the plane's propeller.