Non-normal measurement error in linear regression

In summary, the conversation is about performing regression on two variables with known error components. Ordinary least squares regression cannot be used due to the assumption that measurements are made without error. The normal way to proceed is to use maximum likelihood functional relationship (MLFR) with iterative algorithms, but since the sample errors are log-normal due to logarithmic transforms, this may cause issues with standard MLFR techniques assuming normal error distributions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of correcting for measurement error by using correlated instruments.
e065331
Hi,

Complicated stats question, but maybe someone out there knows how to proceed. I am trying to perform regression on two variables, the samples of which have significant, but known error components. Ordinary least squares regression cannot be used as it is assumed that measurements are made without error. As I understand it, the normal way to proceed would be to assume a maximum likelihood functional relationship (MLFR) and use some of the widely available iterative algorithms. However, in order to ensure even sample distrubution (i.e. not skewed) and homo-scedasticity I performed logarithmic transforms on both variables. As a consequence the sample errors are log-normal. standard MLFR techniques assume normal error distributions. Is there any way of dealing with this problem. Specifically, is anyone aware freeware computer programs that would allow one to estimate parameter values and confidence intervals.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,

i am also trying to perform non normal error dist in linear regression.. may i know what is your general equation for the error term?

As far as I am aware, one way to correct for measurement error is to look for instruments that are correlated with the original independent variable(s) but do not have the measurement problem. See, e.g. Greene, 2nd Ed. Sec. 9.5.3.

1. What is non-normal measurement error in linear regression?

Non-normal measurement error in linear regression refers to errors or variations in the measurement of the independent variables that do not follow a normal distribution. This can occur due to various factors such as human error, faulty equipment, or natural variability in the data.

2. How does non-normal measurement error affect linear regression analysis?

Non-normal measurement error can affect linear regression analysis by biasing the estimates of the regression coefficients and their standard errors. This can lead to incorrect conclusions about the relationships between variables and decrease the accuracy of the regression model.

3. How can non-normal measurement error be detected in linear regression?

Non-normal measurement error can be detected in linear regression through diagnostic tests such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, and the Anderson-Darling test. These tests assess the normality of the residuals, which can provide insights into the underlying distribution of the measurement errors.

4. What are some techniques for dealing with non-normal measurement error in linear regression?

Some techniques for dealing with non-normal measurement error in linear regression include transforming the variables, using generalized linear models, and using robust regression methods. These techniques can help to mitigate the effects of non-normal measurement error on the regression analysis results.

5. Can non-normal measurement error be completely eliminated in linear regression?

No, non-normal measurement error cannot be completely eliminated in linear regression. However, it can be minimized through careful data collection and analysis techniques. It is important to be aware of the potential for non-normal measurement error and to use appropriate methods to address it in the regression analysis.