The opposite slope means the opposite fraction, or opposite sign?

The slope of the line from the center M to the point A is (7 - 3)/(2 - (-1)) = 4/3. The slope of the line perpendicular to the line from M to A is -3/4. The slope of the tangent line at point A is therefore 4/3.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7782/circleb.jpg

I'm supposed to find the slope equation of the tangent line to the circle at point A.
A = (2, 7)

The circle's formula is
(x+1)2+(y+3)2 = 25

The center point of the circle is therefor (-1, 3)

So the slope from the center point to A is

M = [tex]\frac{7-3}{2-(-1)}[/tex]
M = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

That's true so far according to the answers.

So I want to plug [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex] for slope, just take the opposite sign of it, and from some reason in the solution they flipped 3 and 4 in the fraction for the slope of tangent line to the circle at point A! Here ->

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3995/answerofficial.jpg

That's wrong, am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. You need to invert them. For example, think about the slope going from the center of the circle to the very top of the circle. Since you're going straight up, the slope must be infinite right (you go [tex]\Delta y = 5[/tex] but [tex]\Delta x =0[/tex])? Now, the tangent line at the top of the circle must have a slope of 0 since it's at the top of the circle right? So, the relationship between the two must be inverses. Making it the negative of it would make no sense because the tangent line's slope is obviously not [tex]-\infty[/tex]

Pengwuino said:
No. You need to invert them. For example, think about the slope going from the center of the circle to the very top of the circle. Since you're going straight up, the slope must be infinite right (you go [tex]\Delta y = 5[/tex] but [tex]\Delta x =0[/tex])? Now, the tangent line at the top of the circle must have a slope of 0 since it's at the top of the circle right? So, the relationship between the two must be inverses. Making it the negative of it would make no sense because the tangent line's slope is obviously not [tex]-\infty[/tex]

Brilliant explanation :)) thank you!

Femme_physics said:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the slope equation of the tangent line to the circle at point A.
A = (2, 7)

The circle's formula is
(x+1)2+(y+3)2 = 25

No, the center is at (-1, -3).
Femme_physics said:
So the slope from the center point to A is

M = [tex]\frac{7-3}{2-(-1)}[/tex]

M = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

That's true so far according to the answers.

So I want to plug [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex] for slope, just take the opposite sign of it, and from some reason in the solution they flipped 3 and 4 in the fraction for the slope of tangent line to the circle at point A! Here ->

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3995/answerofficial.jpg

That's wrong, am I right?
The last image is confusing. What is the symbol after 8 1/2?
Also, mixed fractions such as 8 1/2 are seldom used in math texts because they could be interpreted as 8 + 1/2 or 8 * 1/2. Usually you see these as 15/2 or 7.5, but not as a mixed fraction.

Femme_physics said:

Homework Statement

A = (2, 7)

The circle's formula is
(x+1)2+(y+3)2 = 25

Mark44 said:
No, the center is at (-1, -3).

I suspect the OP made a typo in the equation for the circle. According to the diagram, the center M looks to be at (-1, 3). So the equation for the circle should be
[tex](x + 1)^2 + (y - 3)^2 = 25[/tex]

1. What does it mean when the slope is opposite?

When the slope is opposite, it means that the direction of increase on one variable is the opposite of the direction of increase on the other variable. For example, if the slope is negative, it means that as one variable increases, the other decreases.

2. How is the fraction related to the opposite slope?

The fraction is related to the opposite slope because it represents the change in the dependent variable divided by the change in the independent variable. When the slope is opposite, the fraction will also be opposite, meaning that the numerator and denominator will have different signs.

3. Can the opposite slope ever be positive?

Yes, the opposite slope can be positive if the original slope is negative. This means that as one variable increases, the other will also increase, but at a slower rate.

4. Does the opposite slope always have the same magnitude as the original slope?

No, the opposite slope does not always have the same magnitude as the original slope. The magnitude of the opposite slope will be equal to the magnitude of the original slope, but with a different sign.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of opposite slope?

Understanding the concept of opposite slope is important because it allows us to interpret the relationship between two variables in a linear equation. It also helps us to understand the direction and rate of change between the variables, which can be useful in many scientific and mathematical applications.