At what redshift did the Universe beging accelerating?

In summary, the goal is to derive an expression for the redshift at which the deceleration of the Universe turned into acceleration, using only fundamental cosmological parameters at the present day. This can be done by starting with the Freidmann Acceleration equation and manipulating it to express a'' in terms of 1+z and the scale factor. However, it is difficult to get rid of the a^2 term in this equation, so further help is needed.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

Starting with the equation for a'', derive an expression for the redshift at which the deceleration of the Universe turned into acceleration. Your expression should contain only fundamental cosmological parameters at the present day such as [tex]\Omega[/tex]M0 and [tex]\Omega[/tex][tex]\Lambda[/tex]0.

Homework Equations

Freidmann Acceleration equation:
gif.latex?\frac{\ddot{a}}{a}=-4\pi%20G(\rho%20+\frac{3p}{c^2}).gif

Redshift-Scale Factor:

1+z=1/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I've literally been racking my brain for hours, trying to come up with every possible manipulation of this equation. I know a''=0 at the point where the universe stops decelerating and begins to accelerate, but the acceleration equation does seem to make any sense at this point, I tried expressing the Freidmann Equation in terms of [tex]\Omega[/tex]M0 and [tex]\Omega[/tex][tex]\Lambda[/tex]0, namely,

ex?\frac{H^2}{H^2_0}=(\frac{\dot{a}}{a})\frac{1}{H^2_0}=\Omega_{M_0}a^{-3}+\Omega%20_{\Lambda_0}.gif

But I wasn't able to figure out any satisfactory way to manipulate this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The other thing I tried was to express a'' in terms of 1+z and the scale factor, namely,Which is really close to what I need, but I still can't figure out how to get rid of the a^2 term. Any help would be appreciated.

1. What is redshift and how does it relate to the acceleration of the Universe?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from distant objects appears to have a longer wavelength, or shift towards the red end of the spectrum, due to the expansion of the Universe. The redshift of an object can be used to determine its distance and velocity. The Universe began accelerating when the redshift reached a certain value, known as the transition redshift.

2. How do scientists measure the acceleration of the Universe?

The acceleration of the Universe is measured through observations of distant supernovae, which are exploding stars that can serve as standard candles for measuring distances. By studying the redshift and brightness of these supernovae, scientists can determine the rate of expansion and acceleration of the Universe.

3. What is the transition redshift and why is it important?

The transition redshift is the value at which the Universe began accelerating. It is important because it marks a significant shift in the expansion of the Universe, from a decelerating phase to an accelerating phase. This transition is thought to be caused by dark energy, a mysterious force that is driving the acceleration of the Universe.

4. How do scientists know that the Universe is accelerating?

Scientists know that the Universe is accelerating based on observations of the redshift of distant objects, such as supernovae, as well as other cosmological measurements. These observations have consistently shown that the expansion of the Universe is speeding up, rather than slowing down as previously thought.

5. What are some theories about the cause of the Universe's acceleration?

There are several theories about the cause of the Universe's acceleration, but the most widely accepted one is the existence of dark energy. Other theories include modifications to the theory of gravity, such as the Einstein-Cartan-Kibble-Sciama theory, and the possibility of a cosmological constant, which is a constant energy density that permeates all of space.