Electrical engineers use quantum mechanics for applications?

In summary, electrical engineers are starting to use more advanced physics for applications, particularly at the research level. Some areas of electrical engineering, such as medical physics, accelerator physics, and solid state physics, routinely overlap with advanced physics. While some electrical engineers may use mathematics such as Banach space, groups, rings, fields, and Lie algebra in their work, it is not necessary for all areas of electrical engineering. Additionally, the use of programming varies depending on the specific area of electrical engineering, with some areas requiring more proficiency than others. The advancement of simulation and modeling tools has also decreased the need for extensive quantum mechanics knowledge in certain areas of electrical engineering.
kramer733
That's what a friend told me atleast. He said that electrical engineers are starting to use way more advance physics for applications. And if this is true, what are the applications of it in the eyes of a electrical engineer?

Also, do electrical engineers use mathematics such as banach space, groups, rings, fields and lie algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hardly.

Yes, quantum mechanics is used by electrical engineers for applications, definitely in solid state device modelling.

kramer733 said:
He said that electrical engineers are starting to use way more advance physics for applications.

At the research level, yes. But it's obviously not going to be as advanced or deeply theoretical as theoretical physics itself. Medical physics, accelerator physics, solid state physics routinely overlap with electrical engineering, and parts of those EE streams do involve a fair amount of 'advanced' EM theory, and (in the case of solid state devices and microelectronics) quantum mechanics.

kramer733 said:
Also, do electrical engineers use mathematics such as banach space, groups, rings, fields and lie algebra?

I know a few signal processing and network theorists who have tried to involve these things in their work (for good reason). Some parts of Lie algebra are used in control systems theory, as is differential geometry.

How proefficient do i have to be in programming if i want to be an electrical engineer?

kramer733 said:
How proefficient do i have to be in programming if i want to be an electrical engineer?

Depends on the area. Programming is extremely useful but there are many areas where you don't need so much skill. In semiconductor manufacturing, they still use BASIC for programing most manufacturing test, for example.

I was referring to the more mundane EE tasks. Of course, the more advanced technologies would necessitate the use of some QM.

For starters, take a look at the book 'From Atom to Transistor' by Supriyo Datta.

I would say generally EEs do less QM than they used to because of the improvement of simulation and modeling tools. So, a lot of the QM is embedded in the tools. It's a bit like asking if EEs solve a lot of differential equations. Circuit designers do that all day, in a sense, but really it is the simulator solving them. The engineers are working at a higher level of abstraction.

1. How do electrical engineers use quantum mechanics in their work?

Electrical engineers use quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of subatomic particles and how they interact with electrical systems. This knowledge is applied to the design and development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips.

2. What are some specific applications of quantum mechanics in electrical engineering?

Some specific applications of quantum mechanics in electrical engineering include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, quantum sensors, and quantum communication systems.

3. How does quantum mechanics improve the performance of electrical systems?

Quantum mechanics allows for more precise control and manipulation of particles, resulting in faster and more efficient electronic devices. It also enables the development of new technologies that were previously impossible with classical mechanics.

4. What are the challenges of incorporating quantum mechanics into electrical engineering?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the mathematics involved in quantum mechanics. Additionally, the sensitivity of quantum systems to external disturbances and the need for specialized equipment can also pose challenges for engineers.

5. How do electrical engineers stay updated on advancements in quantum mechanics?

Electrical engineers can stay updated on advancements in quantum mechanics through attending conferences, reading scientific journals, and participating in collaborative research projects with physicists and other experts in the field.